Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I consider myself a mechanical fellow but the door hinges on my 62 are driving me nuts. The one with the cam type mechanism appears either to have a strange hinge pin, or is worn out beyond recognition. Regardless, I can't get this damn thing apart.

Does anyone have any photos of a video on how to tear down and rebuild these things?

Doors are off any hinges were left on the door (removed from body)

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
In theory, everything presses into the hinge: the pivot pin for the cam you are talking about and the hinge pin. The hinge pin is also pressed in from the top, and can be pressed out the opposite way. But rust and corrosion can make this a pain, or make it necessary to drill it out. I know you can buy a repo hinge complete, but I don't even know if you can buy the parts to fix it yourself anymore.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The hinge pins and brass bushing are out there new. A large hammer and a press from HF are your best friends along with plenty of used trans fluid. Just follow the above hints and you will win with hard work.

Don't ever give up. Message me if you need some used donor hinges.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I slowed down and reminded myself I had all winter to get this car painted and back together! Turns out the hinge pin was so broken up that I was confused on how it was originally working.... Dremel tool was my friend with cutoff wheels, cut the pin out in a couple spots then a torch and hammer worked to free up the individual pieces.

Local NAPA had the proper pins and bushings. All done!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bought brand new hinges and took the doors off the car to replace them because I didn't want to try to rebuild the stock ones. It was a bitch. I had to use a mechanical impact to break the screws loose (why would they use regular Phillips screws?!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
How are you guys getting the hinges off the car? Do you have to remove the fenders first? I don't see a way to get to the screws without doing that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
On my 67 the fasteners are 1/2” hex head with Phillips also. I found a wrench made for this at a local body shop, loaned it to me. Google Kent Moore hinge wrench. Still a two man job and time consuming but I did it with the fenders on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just had my car painted and received some good advice from the shop that painted it. They said to chase the hinge plate threads with a tap and make sure the bolts can be easily installed before trying to put the doors on. Nothing worse that trying to hang the door and cross threading them or struggling to run them in while holding the door in position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts