Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to replace my vent window frames there rusted pretty badly. I found the frames but looking for the vent window assemblies. Anyone know where I can get them. Ive looked everywhere.

Thank you!1
Wood Natural material Floor Hardwood Beige

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts
Nobody reproduces the assembly, Not yet at least. You either have to find nice OEM assemblies or restore the ones you have. Yours don't look too great. It's hard to find them with no rust but you can usually find them better than what you have.

I'm doing mine right now on my '64. When I get home tomorrow I'll post some pics. I am replacing/restoring the following parts:
  • Reproduction Vent Window Frames
  • Reproduction Vent Window Glass
  • Reproduction Vent Window Glass Rubber Seals
  • NOS Vent Window Handles
  • Reproduction Rubber Frame Seals
  • Reproduction Side Glass Channels
  • Re-chromed A-pillar die cast pieces
  • Reproduction A-pillar top rubber seals & rivets
  • Cleaned-up & painted OEM assemblies
  • Re-polished stainless trim (4 pcs)
  • Reproduction rivets for re-assembly
I am also replacing the rest of the side glass and replacing/restoring all the frames, etc.

It looks like a lot of work but it's not that bad. Plus it's usually one of those jobs you only need to do every 50-60 years or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine don't look great at all. Ill keep an eye our for some. Yeah please post some pics ,would be great to see what your doing and everything your replacing. Thank you much for info!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have a 62 Nova (400 series) with the vent windows. I love them, a lil push here and there going down the road helps with what I call my A/C (no real cold air folks ).

I got lucky when I bought my car, most of it was stripped to the bones (it was a rescue, as are my pets).

I like my quarter windows. I got lucky, they were mostly intact. Seams the AH that owned it before was more of a red neck track dude. Ruinen the inner fender wells for headers.

Funny part is I made new inner fender wells. Better than before.

Some times you just go with your gut as they say. JR

·
Vendor
2,179 Posts
Yeah, those in your picture would be good used at this point. They are still in one piece and I can't see holes or cracks in the lower window frame. GM did not paint them, so bad surface rust is normal at this point. Also, the ones you have in your picture are sedan pieces or coupe ones somebody cut the window stops off of.

I have a dwindling supply of coupe frame assemblies, but they are going to look no better than what is in your pics.

There are differences in parts of the frame and chrome diecast between 1st and 2nd gen. As far as I can tell this is solely at the top corner where the rubber window stop is. GM parts numbers vary as well. (This could be a cause of common complaints regarding glass not sealing at the top correctly).

If you are staying bone stock, '62 used different glass than the rest of the years. I think is was non-tempered. The '63 and later glass eventually superseded it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
i'd be curious what the differences are in the frame itself. could not see any differences, therefore very interested. there was no diecast with it, and mine was in good shape and never checked. but it al went together well, and all holes were where they needed to be. could have also been mislabeled at the swap meet, and we got lucky!

thanks for that info.

-Rusty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, those in your picture would be good used at this point. They are still in one piece and I can't see holes or cracks in the lower window frame. GM did not paint them, so bad surface rust is normal at this point. Also, the ones you have in your picture are sedan pieces or coupe ones somebody cut the window stops off of.

I have a dwindling supply of coupe frame assemblies, but they are going to look no better than what is in your pics.

There are differences in parts of the frame and chrome diecast between 1st and 2nd gen. As far as I can tell this is solely at the top corner where the rubber window stop is. GM parts numbers vary as well. (This could be a cause of common complaints regarding glass not sealing at the top correctly).

If you are staying bone stock, '62 used different glass than the rest of the years. I think is was non-tempered. The '63 and later glass eventually superseded it.
Thank you so much for the info. I. The other side of one of the frames there rusted pretty bad. You have a set still available ?

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts
Here's my status. The glass is installed in the new reproduction frames. The A-pillar moldings are nice with new chrome and replacement rubber edge seals riveted in place. The 4 stainless garnishes that snap onto the assemblies are re-polished. All-new seals and window tracks.

Wood Tool Art Font Triangle

Here are the OEM assemblies all cleaned up ready to paint. Once the paint is dry I can reassemble everything.

Rectangle Wood Font Parallel Triangle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's my status. The glass is installed in the new reproduction frames. The A-pillar moldings are nice with new chrome and replacement rubber edge seals riveted in place. The 4 stainless garnishes that snap onto the assemblies are re-polished. All-new seals and window tracks.

View attachment 428661

Here are the OEM assemblies all cleaned up ready to paint. Once the paint is dry I can reassemble everything.

View attachment 428662
They look great, how difficult was to put the glass in the new frames? If I can't find any decent assemblies I want to get new frames and glass

·
Registered
20 Posts
66/67 are different, i've done mine, the repo vent frames i had didn't fit correctly (the hinge tab on the chrome frame) BEFORE you go to far check the fit there, mine had the wrong angle to them. Now for the fun part, the triangle seals, spray a lot of WD-40 on them and start at the angle. Get yourself a couple of good PLASTIC probes and flats, it is a pain in the ass, take your time and good luck. BTW Those frames don't look bad at all, I wire brushed mine and then painted on rust inhibitor. Good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts
I always suspected the '62 vent window assemblies might be slightly different than '63-'65. Several of the '62 parts are one year only.

I don't know though. I've owned at least one Nova from every year 1st and 2nd gen except 1962.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts