Not too much is going to stay. The rear is an old 57 Olds with 4:88s and a spool. Its set up on 42 inch ladder bars and a floater. The wheel wells where cut out a flared with fiberglass. Total old school cool. the roll bar was a nightmare the left by way of a sawzaw as soon as I could. The front end was slamed with 6 popper springs. That didn't matter because the whole front was leaving soon. The bad part of the front is that when it was dropped they cut the heck out of the front part of the fenders for clearance.The interior was a disapointment. I pulled itout to find a butchered trans tunnel, just a couple of little rust spots though.The windows were all plex on the sides,bad part about that is the doors were gutted and cut out,same are the quarter windows.
First things first I installed a full cage , not period 60s correct but saftey first.I picked up a set of doors ,they gave up they're inner panels and window hardware to repair my doors. I came across a 64 sedan for parts ,that's when I found out that the sedan and hard tops are different and the parts I needed where wrong,real bummer.The front frame was easy to build thanks to all the info on this site and the internet. I set it up with a vega steering box in a front cross steer.
I've got the drive tran all set up for the gasser. The engine is a 350 30 over 12 an 1/2 comp. 6 inch rods, steel crank, 4bolt main,600 in. roller cam,air flow research heads, tunnel ram and 600 holleys.Trans is a powerglide w/4500stall and a brake.It should have enough HP for a street/ strip car.:
The body work on the car went fairly quick. Just a few patches in the front fenders to replace the cut out parts. During the blocking of the car I found that the side trim holes where just dinged down and bondoed over. Those had to all be found and welded up. The rear wheel wells had some fiberglass cracking and seperation from the quarters that had to be repaired. One of the hardest parts to do was cutting the front and rear glass out, the gaskets were petrafied and came out one little bit at a time.
My friend and I painted the car 2 weeks ago. I choose a house of color purple, with an ice pearl in the clear. It still needs to be blocked out. After Looking at it for a while I decided to do some wild flames on it.those will be another week or so till they get done. mean time I'd gotten the engine together and dropped in .Now comes all the real timely things to dowiring/plumbing interior. just little stuff,lol
Another week working on the Gasser. I go from one job and end up stopping because I need some little part,then on to another and the same thing happens. My list of parts to order/pick-up just keeps getting longer.lol I've got the cage painted ,front axle in , front brakes 90% done. The front bumper came in and had to to be fitted and modified to fit better.Why can't fiberglass manufactures make a better fitting part. Bumper and hood where Harwood. Got the steering column in It's a speedway not tilt with a quick release wheel hub. Got the wiring harneess50% done,it had a 12 circut painless in it to start with,but like everything else has to be modified for all the different things like an MSD ign, 1 wire alt,fuel pump ,fans, trans brake.I got the head liner installed ,that was a total joy to do,lol. This week we're going to try to get the Flames painted, I need to find a glss man to instill windows( I have real bad luck with glass,lol). I'm trying to make it to nostalgia show/ race at the race track.
Well it was a long day ,getting the car preped, wet sanded, then the base tape off. It's been so long since I layed out some flames I forgot how long it takes. Even with the help of a few friends It still took about 4 hours to layout and tape off. We used a metalic silver for the base with black shading. After wet sanding and buffing they"ll be pin striped. It was slow but it was progress.
Well it was a productive weekend. I got the door panels ,rear and kick panels cut out of aluminum,just waiting to figure what pattern to bead roll in them. Almost finished with the inner fender panels.My buddie keeps telling me Gassers don't have inner fender panels . I just perfere not to have to clean as much.Should be getting my next mail order in this week to finish off wiring and plumbing. I should have some updated pic's this coming weekend.Seems with work and family there is never enough time.lol
Well ,I've got a few things done.I had the carb parts powder coated .During the build up of the carbs I found the one carb had a cracked base plate,now I need to dig up another 600 holley base plate. I going with purple springs,66 jetsand 31 squirters. the new glass bumper is mounted along with the rad. and trans cooler. Next up is the fan assy. One other thing I need to change are the front wheel studs(too short) from the speedway brake kit.