Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 62 400 driver door latch spring finally stopped springing. Have found that the latch is 62 specific due to the actual external latch and catch. But does anyone know if I can change the catch to a 63 to use 63 latch? ie do the bolts line up?

· Premium Member
5,797 Posts
'62 is one year only and will not interchange with later models , best to look at Chevy II used parts dealers , here is one place Chevy 2 Only Nova Parts | GM Classics
once you get 25 posts you can post in the wanted section , there are a few Nova folks here who have parts to sell, Welcome to the site & good luck

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. that’s definitely not good news. lol. I’ve been finding most everything is a PIA with this thing and spending tons of time trying to find parts.

was originally going to keep it all original, but that’s not even possible.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
emailed northwest and chevy2only, waiting to hear back

Sweet thanks. someone said the actually spring in the latches are the same from a few different chevys and years. anyone know which ones?

· Registered
1963 Chevrolet II Nova SS
839 Posts
emailed northwest and chevy2only, waiting to hear back

Sweet thanks. someone said the actually spring in the latches are the same from a few different chevys and years. anyone know which ones?
I think 55-57 Chevy share some parts in the '62 latch. I recall them being very similar.

· Premium Member
6,572 Posts
I would just wait until you find real '62 latches. They are out there and you will find some eventually. Just have to be a little patient and keep looking. Put a Parts Wanted ad in SNS classifieds. Keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist.

· Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Good advice from members, especially reaching the 25 post threshold. It's not hard to do, responding to other posts or making some of your own. Privileges at that point will include placing a classified ad for this part, and I'm sure you'll find some help when you go this route. Thanks to SNS responders for respecting the classified ad threshold for new members and encouraging them to get to 25 before responding with parts.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I had one wore out door latch on my 62 400 HT. I heard you can retro fit to the newer 63-67 door latch. I was in process of replacing quarter panels and door skins so it made sense to upgrade latches. The newer style seem a bit more robust in securing mechanism.

No modifications was needed to door latch opening. You do need to modify mounting of strike side bolt slots in door jams. The bolt pattern of old and newer strike are not the same. I think it’s only one of the three holes is off just a little.

I removed the threaded floating anchor plate behind quarter panel. Comes out pretty easy. I cut the plate a little ways behind hole that was off. Aligned holes to new latch and welded. Re-installed floating plate and with patience I slotted the holes in jam with rat file making sure latches engaged properly and had needed adjustment..

The door latches work perfectly and are adjustable. Just the direction I took but might not be the course for everyone to take. I’m sure there is more info of what I did on this site.

Regards, Lenny

Attachments

· Registered
1,585 Posts
You can you the 63 style latch that mounts in the door with the 62 striker mounted in the jam with zero modifications. Like Lenny2 said above, in order to change the door jam striker to the 63 and later, the mounting holes will not line up unless you do some surgery and change out the floating anchor plates the bolts screw into.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can you the 63 style latch that mounts in the door with the 62 striker mounted in the jam with zero modifications. Like Lenny2 said above, in order to change the door jam striker to the 63 and later, the mounting holes will not line up unless you do some surgery and change out the floating anchor plates the bolts screw into.
You’re saying the actual latch assembly from a 63 will mount and latch to the 62 striker? So I can swap the latch assembly’s and it will work?

Im searching everywhere you guys have recommended. No one has any so far! Wouldn’t mind being patient except the door won’t latch closed 😆.

· Registered
28 Posts
Sorry your struggling. 62 and 63-67 door latch parts can not be mixed to work. Two different assemblies.

It’s been a couple of years since I dealt with latches. I do remember I found info on this site that confirmed you could upgrade to newer 63-67 latch assemblies. There is no modifications needed to door. Did mine pretty much as I posted in early reply. You might want to review again.

Air tools can be overly aggressive. I used a rat and square file removing slot material little at a time. I constantly reassemble and checked fit. Look at my striker PICs in jam. All I can say it is an option and can be done. If it’s more than you want to do there are 62 latches out there.

Regards, Lenny

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Sorry your struggling. 62 and 63-67 door latch parts can not be mixed to work. Two different assemblies.
Sorry to disagree but look at the pictures below and you will see that the door latch assembly from a 63-67 will in fact work with a 62 striker mounted on the car. This is not true in reverse. A 62 door latch assembly is only compatible with a 62 striker. Also, the door latches have the same bolt pattern from 62-67 so a latch from these years will bolt into any doors from the same range of 62-67. The striker bolt pattern changed in 63 on the car so if you have a 62 car, you can only bolt up a 62 striker UNLESS you do like Lenny2 and modify the car. I believe the reason the 63 latch and striker was redesigned was so in an accident, the door was less likely to pop open.
Font Gas Metal Art Auto part

Top of photo above is a driver's side 62 latch and striker. Bottom of photo is a 63-67 latch and striker.
Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Composite material

62 latch is only compatible with the 62 striker on the left.
Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Bicycle part

63-67 latch works with either of these strikers.
Gas Wood Fashion accessory Metal Auto part

This is a 63-67 latch fully closed in a 62 striker.
Eye Art paint Iris Graffiti Art

My 62 convertible with a 63-67 latch...
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

Closes perfectly with the 62 striker. Any questions?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You’re saying the actual latch assembly from a 63 will mount and latch to the 62 striker? So I can swap the latch assembly’s and it will work?

Im searching everywhere you guys have recommended. No one has any so far! Wouldn’t mind being patient except the door won’t latch closed 😆.
Sorry to disagree but look at the pictures below and you will see that the door latch assembly from a 63-67 will in fact work with a 62 striker mounted on the car. This is not true in reverse. A 62 door latch assembly is only compatible with a 62 striker. Also, the door latches have the same bolt pattern from 62-67 so a latch from these years will bolt into any doors from the same range of 62-67. The striker bolt pattern changed in 63 on the car so if you have a 62 car, you can only bolt up a 62 striker UNLESS you do like Lenny2 and modify the car. I believe the reason the 63 latch and striker was redesigned was so in an accident, the door was less likely to pop open.
View attachment 451631
Top of photo above is a driver's side 62 latch and striker. Bottom of photo is a 63-67 latch and striker.
View attachment 451629
62 latch is only compatible with the 62 striker on the left.
View attachment 451630
63-67 latch works with either of these strikers.
View attachment 451635
This is a 63-67 latch fully closed in a 62 striker.
View attachment 451633
My 62 convertible with a 63-67 latch...
View attachment 451634
Closes perfectly with the 62 striker. Any questions?

I’m going to order one try it out. I’ll advise and post here to be a second if confirmed. Thank you all

· Registered
28 Posts
No offense Buccflyer but wow, there is no way I would recommend doing that. Door latch is also to secure a door as they are designed in an accident. Key words “as they are designed”. Those two strikes are very much different. Mixing parts from two different units like you suggest defeats that.

Why did GM redesign latches after 62 to a more robust design with improved engagement? If it’s as simple and safe as Buccflyer says wouldn’t 62 replacement latches be on the market?

Two logical options. Replace with original 62 or upgrade 63-67. Either way it’s not that hard to do job right.

Regards, Lenny

· Registered
1,585 Posts
No offense Buccflyer but wow, there is no way I would recommend doing that. Door latch is also to secure a door as they are designed in an accident. Key words “as they are designed”. Those two strikes are very much different. Mixing parts from two different units like you suggest defeats that.
No offense taken Lenny. The parts I'm mixing do not change the security of the door at all. Pretty easy to see the improvement if you study the pictures. A 62 latch (the part that goes in the door) does not have a raised ridge to interlock inside of any striker so I can't see any impact on safety from using either latch with a 62 striker (the part that bolts to the car). A brand new NOS 62 latch and striker will not be as safe as a 63-67 hence the redesign. I'm telling you my personal experience with my 62 convertible after ten years of ownership and 30,000 miles, my door has never popped open or failed to close perfectly.
Why did GM redesign latches after 62 to a more robust design with improved engagement? If it’s as simple and safe as Buccflyer says wouldn’t 62 replacement latches be on the market?
You answered your own question. Improved engagement equals improved safety. As I've said and documented, a 62 latch (the part that goes in the door) will only work on a 62 car using a 62 striker(the part that bolts on the car). Very small market for a part that only fits one year of car. Luckily, the latch (the part that goes in the door) that is available on the market which is listed as fitting a 63-67, will also work on a 62 car with a 62 striker. All latches (the part that goes in the door) 62-67 have the same bolt pattern. The 62 striker has a different bolt pattern from the 63-67 strikers.
Two logical options. Replace with original 62 or upgrade 63-67. Either way it’s not that hard to do job right.

Regards, Lenny
The way you fixed your problem is terrific. You have the ability and the courage to modify your car from the 62 system to the improved 63-67 type. That's great but not everyone can go that route. This is a hobby of course and mixing and matching parts is a part of it. I'm simply pointing out one solution to this problem that other 62 owners were not aware of.

Don't know what else to say so, peace out!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts