Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having a problem with my door latch mech. not all the time but every now and again when i open the door and then try to shut it, it won't latch, the rotating latch in the door will rotate down and i will have to hold the door handle and rotate it back up to latch......is there an easy fix

thanks
jon

·
Registered
396 Posts
door latch problem

Easy fix is to get a used one! PM Nightshade.

It is the thin little flat spring that is broken that makes the eccentric return to its park position. Unfortunately you can't just buy the spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my question as well..........they only list the 63 and up, is the 62 the same part????

thanks
jon

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I just went through this with mine as well. There's a coil spring on it that breaks and won't let it return like novaconv said. You can pull the spring off another latch (front and rear are the same) and put it on yours. A member on here was nice enough to send me a latch for my 62' however it was missing the spring so he took one off one of his rear latches and kindly sent it to me and it went right on the front latch. Here's the pic I sent him to explain where the spring goes, if I remember my camera tomorrow I'll take a pic of the replaced spring on the latch, but for now this pic is all I have so don't mind all the boxes and wording on it I was just using it to show him what I needed.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Tried to take a better pic of the installed spring but when I got home and uploaded it I realized it wasn't in focus. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the pics, in focus enough........is it a pain to get the latches out of the door? and did you say that other gm car from that era use the same spring?

thanks
jon

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bump. Anyone have a spring they want to give up? I need one and my stoopit door wont shut. Front and rear doors from a 62 work. I'm in Denver.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Update

The latches from the 62 are only different in the part that pokes out of the jam. All else is the same. I just put a 64 spring on my 62. Pete

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm having this problem too. I just got a replacement spring that's still in an old latch. I can't figure out how to get the spring out without mangling it. I got the old spring out of my latch but I had to twist and pull it quite a bit. Does anyone have some tips?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts