Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a phone call tonight from an old friend thinning his herd of projects-
One of which is a 62 Nova 400 ragtop. I will be looking at this car within the next few days. Non power top, 6 banger, glide, bench seat, basic wind-past-my bald-head convert.

Supposed solid car (We're in Ohio, whats solid here might mean swiss cheese to 90% of you) and I am told mostly complete.

First thing I asked, How is the front fender chrome behind the headlights?
Answer was - "missing". I can see this is going to be a real adventure.

I ask the experts here at Steve's - what RARE and hard to find parts should I be looking to be on this car that I cannot swap off of a 63-65?

Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys- Wow- thanks for the fast response !!!!!!

I'm up near Akron/Cleveland- cars in Cleveland.........

Once I read up on em and take a little visual inventory, I'll have a better idea what its worth and what I'd be into. Other than 63 post cars, this is new First Gen territory for me.
Its in a dark building, but I'll try to get some PICS !!!!!!!

Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
62 convertible parts

Jim, I currently own a 62 conv. and have owned several other conv. (mainly parts cars) in the past.
The main area's to look at are the inner rockers and the floor pan that has extra braces in a conv. Another area of concern is the area behind the rear seat. Quite often the cars were left outside and the first thing that deteriorated was the plastic back window. That meant water running into the area behind the rear seat and laying on the floor under the rear seat. Many times the rear seat looks okay but upon removal the springs have rusted and that is why the demand is high for rear conv. seats. I have sold them for $400-$500. They sit between the arm rest covers and therefore are the most narrow seat that was made. Almost all interior parts are hard to find and few are reproduced. Seat covers and door panels are not reproduced, so it is necessary to use 63 which are available.
In 62 the body side moulding was 4 pieces on each side and it generally took a beating. I have gathered quite a few pieces of this moulding but have never found decent door mouldings. I took the best I had to George Lucas and he said they would be a challenge.
The 62 grille is one of a kind and it is very hard to find in excellent condition. Also when they bend, the light weight aluminum stretches and they are near impossible to straighten. At one time, I knew of an NOS grille that was available for $750 but I'm sure that has been sold by now.
The top latches are reproduced but cost about $300 per side (two pieces each side). The chrome header pieces are fairly rare, there are 3 pieces that sit across the top of the windshield.
The exterior body emblems are fairly common and not too hard to find. The top snap moulding can be a problem, it usually breakes on each side about 12" from the front. This moulding should be two pieces that meet and overlap in line with the middle of the rear window. Quite often because they were welded at the factory they break and the total moulding is in 4 pieces.
You want to make sure all the parts of the folding top are in good shape. It is not that common to find a seller that will seperate the folding top in order to sell you a single piece you need. It also is not common to find a complete folding top for sale in good condition, they usually are sold only with a car.
I hope this helps and if you have specific questions, feel free to email me
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't thank you all enough for the treasure-trove of info on these one-off cars.

This one has all the top pieces and interior pieces, according to my friend. Of course, a second set of eyes and all of this knowledge will sure help in assessing the car.

Its been changed out to 5 lugs front and back, but I made sure the 4 lug stuff was kept.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, true to form , I got up early today and took a ride into town.

Looked at this fading memory of Novas past.

Whoa.......lots of rust underneath, as in ,,,,,,,,floorpans front to back.

Rockers bad........shame of it is, interior held up remarkably well, and the car, sans right fender front bumper and side trim, is basically complete.
I took a couple of digital pics, and I am hoping it wasn't too dark where it was at- I can't load them till later when I'm back home.

My buddy is into this car, and to be honest, I don't need a project this big in my life right now. I am going to try to help him out and see what happens, as he doesn't have internet.
Again, thanks for all the replies, and we'll see which way this goes. He also happened to mention about a 66 SS that he has a line on. Now that one is going to be a must see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts