Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Factory RHD 1962 Chevy 2 3 row wagon
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I came across another magazine with a write up on the Chevy ll in Australia. Much of the info is repeated over and over, but the writer claims his research shows only 12 Chevy ll sedans were sold here in 1962 in 300 series cars. There is no mention of any wagons and importing of these cars by Preston Motors, the dealership that was bringing rhd cars in from Canada, were discontinued at the end of '62. Its reported no more were sold here after '62, so maybe low sales was the reason. Maybe that was due to the cost. A Chevy ll sedan was $4400, twice the price of a local Holden car and priced around the same as british or german luxury cars. $4400 in 1962 is almost $70,000 today, so its no wonder. There was/is a few Chevy ll cars that arrived here after 1962, one '65 rhd wagon was a Canadian built car and a consulate car in Canberra(Australias capital) so maybe it, and the other 63/64 sedan rhd believed to still exist were also, and brought here by the government, or private imports?. But, that creates a further mystery as to how my rhd '62 wagon came to be if the 12 cars sold here in '62 were only sedans. Clearly my wagon has slipped through the cracks and had until now been unknown. The mint green '62 still exists, it and my wagon are likely the only rhd '62 Chevy lls left here.
Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Publication

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Only a kidney? Can I have the guys number if you don't want it?

You're doing really well for a distant continent away. I'm trying to figure out the fender 'stainless', as I think the side trim is all aluminum. As I recall, yours is a 3-seat wagon and would only come in 300 series trim, so the front fender trim is one long piece, even tougher to find. Keep at it. It'll be worth the time to get all of that right in the end.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok so, the 'stainless trim' I refer to is the fender trims, they are all rolled up and wrapped in an old tablecloth, then taped so just assumed that what they are made of, having not really removed them other than a quick disappointing peek to see their less than average condition. We also just refer to them here as side stainless because that it what they usually are made of.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As for the grille costing a kidney....
Product Rectangle Azure Slope Font

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Paper

I just want to say that I did not buy a grille from this seller, as you can see, by the above quote, and conversion to AUD with the freight, I'd have needed to sell both my kidneys.....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts