It has been a long time since the last update.... I bought another garage, broke out the walls and made 1 out of 3... makes working on my projects a lot easier. I did do some work on the Nova.... made an exhaust, finished the trans tunnel and removed the paint from the doors. I cleaned and lubricated the latches and installed the doors.
In the last years I've spent a lot of time working on my Camaro and I've built a few bikes...but now it is time to get back to the Nova.... I want it finished!
I just got a new battery so I will be able to start it and move it around if needed....
Did some work the past weeks.. installed the mirrors, had to drill a new hole and will have to weld the unused holes shut. I also started at bodywork... first time hammer and dolly work but i took it slow and with some tutorials on youtube i got stuff done. Not perfect but good enough that with a skimcoat of filler it will be nice. All trim will be black, i had the door handles powdercoated for a durable finish. The chrome was pitted so that does show a bit but i don't mind since it will not be a showcar. Assembled them with new o rings and installed them on the doors.
I could not get the fenders aligned properly....... removed the hood and hinges, loosened the front clip and took out some shims between clip and body. Bolt holes line up nicely now on the drivers side, gap between door and fender are better now and more adjustable. Next is passenger side. Step by step ....
The 10SI regulator was broken so I upgraded to a 12SI with 94A output... Nice to have with the stereo and electric power steering.
changed out the H4 headlights for LED... what a difference, so much light
removed some more paint since I decided to tackle most of the preparation myself. I will be painting everything but the large exterior parts. I will spray epoxy primer on everything. The door jambs, window openings and inside of the doors is doable for a novice painter I think. The car will be BMW white, a bright wite and the chrome will be black.
The cowl area on the passenger side turned out to be a bit too high. I've done a lot of welding on the body so I probably messed up a bit there.... so out came the grinder and welder...
After grinding down the welds I applied filler and did some shaping. Applied some primer to prevent rust, I will final sand and apply epoxy primer when it is delivered. I drilled all hinges for guide pins to make assembly easier and take out the guess work. After that I took out the doors and disassembled them so I can prepare them for paint.
remember to check your spec sheet with the epoxy primer. you may have to put primer over it within a day or so, otherwise it has to be stripped or heavily sanded for anything to stick to it chemically. at least that is how the PPG epoxy was for me. and let me tell you, that stuff really clogs sandpaper!
Did some work again on the Nova.. . Painted the sealer on the A pillar drip moulding, fixed 2 small dents in the roof, the area under the windshield I modified earlier and some other spots here and there. Sanded the rear quarters too and put 2K epoxy primer on to protect them. It looks good in the pics but there's plenty of work to do with filler and sanding. At least it's progress!
Filler and sanding.... The right tail light panel seam was different from the left (which is as it is supposed to be). The right side seam was filled with lead, I filed away a bit of the lead and shaped it to match the left side. Now it's a matter of finding all the low spots, fill them and sand back again. Not my favourite job but it must be done.
some progress again....bought sanding blocks and quality sandpaper.... makes the job easier....still lots of work! First pass with the 16"block and 60 grit to get the basis, covered with thin layer of epoxy primer for protection and to see it in 1 color.
I added some old pics so you can see what the basis was.