Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
62 chevy II Nova 4 door project Update Dec 10th 2017

I posted the Nova in the project forums, but any comments are welcome!

The Nova project has started!
www.pro-touring.nl

(page 2)

also finally an update on the Camaro with lots of drag race movies (in the Netherlands!) this time.
www.pro-touring.nl

(page 47)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DD, thanks for the info! I still will put one on if I can get it since it will benefit the handling.

John, thanks! Indeed I've been around at PT.com for about 9 years....that site has cost me loads of money :D

I hope I can do the Nova a bit cheaper :rolleyes:
(but I've allready seen too much nice stuff on this site :cool:)

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, progress on the Nova project is slow....
I have bought some door hinge repair kits so I can start on that and I decided what direction to go for now.

I will keep the 194 I6 and have bought a T5 transmission out of a 86ish firebird, I also got one from a 85 camaro which has the correct bellhousing.
Ít will be a mix and match deal and I just have to take out the motor and see how it all will go together.

at least it will be a lot more fun than the powerglide :)

the T5 has a steep 1st gear and an overdrive, so quick "launches" and smooth highway cruising is what I hopefully will get.

This will be a budget build (what I think now) but it must end as a reliable car for daily use.

As soon as I can actually work on it in the garage I will make an update on my page again.

I now first have some work on the Camaro, have to get it ready for a 2 day show with around 50.000 visitors for which I was invited.:cool:

Martin
www.pro-touring.nl

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, I do want one I know.....still busey now cleaning parts, I am looking for parts for a front disk brake conversion, keeping it 4 bolt!

since parts are expensive to ship I think I have a cheaper solution with parts I can get locally... some modern cars have a 4x114.3 boltcircle, if I can get disks that will fit the 4 bolt hubs...(remove the drum parts) and make a bracket for the calipers I should get it to work and will not have to modify the rear axle bolt pattern.

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did some measuring and research this weekend actually....

the boltcircle 4x4,5" which equals 4x114.3mm and the hub diameter is 67,1mm.

this is exactly the same as some Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai and the Volvo S40/V40.

Discs are easy to find but I will try to get a complete system with calipers and maybe even the booster/master and combo valve.

I have good experience with Mitsubishi cars so I guess I will be searching the junkyard for parts soon :cool:

When I looked at my front drums I saw the drums are rivited??? to the hub, is that correct or are they bolted from the inside? (does anybody have pics or know a thread with pics??? I tried the search but didn't find it)

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! progress is slow since I still have work on the Camaro to improve/maintain it and sometimes life gets in the way:rolleyes:

but, the days are getting longer so maybe I can get some wrench time again :yes:

John, I had already seen your Nova project thread and I like what you did to it, looks good!

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have no pics yet but I am working on the disc brake conversion (4 bolt!!!)

I found new parts cheap and I think I will be done for around $150

I have the discs on the hubs allready and need to fabricate a bracket for the caliper.

as soon as I have pics I will update my page wih the complete description, sizes etc.

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I will post this as a seperate topic too so people can find this info with the search function.

I wanted disc brakes in front, but the conversion sets available are around $500 and are 5 lug.

This would mean another $200 approximately for shipping and 25% local taxes.

The fact that I would also have to change the rear axle to 5 lug by buying new axles or redrilling the old meant this was no option since this is supposed to be a budget rebuild.

EDIT! i found the pics were gone, it is all documented on my page www.pro-touring.nl click the Nova then page 7

I did some research and measuring and found the bolt circle to be 4x114,3mm with a center hole of 67,1mm which is the same as with the following cars:

Mitsubishi Carisma 1,8i, 2,0i, 1,8Gdi from year 1995 - 4/114.3 44 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Volvo S40, V40 4 bolt 4/114.3 44 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Kia Clarus, Carens, Joice 4/114.3 45 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Accent year 1995 - 1999 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Matrix 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Mitsubishi Galant 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Kia Magentis 4 bolt 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Coupe 4 bolt 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Smart forfour 4/114.3 46 67.1

Mitsubishi Colt from year 2004.05 - 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Pony 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Mitsubishi Space Star 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Atos to year 2001 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Elantra 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Mitsubishi Space Runner 4 bolt 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Mitsubishi Space Wagon 4 bolt 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

Hyundai Sonata 4/114.3 46 67.1 nut 12 x 1.50

If you want to use anything of this list please measure and check yourself, I got this info on the internet so I cannot tell for sure if it is 100% accurate for all.

I found a nice set brand new front axles complete with discs, calipers, pads and brake hoses real cheap.

These are off a 2006 Mitsubishi Colt (CZ) which is just under 300kg lighter than a Nova but I think they will be sufficient cause this will not be a race car.

The discs have a 256mm or 10” diameter and the caliper is a single piston type.

Taking the drum off the hub was more work than I thought it would be.

Each drum was attached to the hub with 4 steel rivets so I had to drill them out and grind them flush.

After cleaning the hubs I found out the discs would not fit over them so I had the hubs outside diameter cut to size on a lathe.

I used MDF (dunno how it's called in english...???) to make the caliper brackets since it is cheap and easy to work with.

The first attempt was to get an idea of how to make it, the second got me almost there, I need to fine tune it a bit and then I will make them from aluminum plate.

the caliper is upside down now (still have to switch the left and right) but I got it done.

it will take some more work but I know it will work and it is possible to have 4lug disc brakes!!

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I measured the MDF brackets and made an AutoCad drawing... with this I will have the brackets laser cut from steel plate.

see drawing below:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I got the brackets and went to the garage to check the final fit.
Everything bolted on easy and aligned perfectly.
The hub diameter is a tiny bit too small where the disc mounts so I made shims (for centering the discs) from a tin can.
Now the disc fits snug and is perfectly centered.
<P>
I designed the brackets so the calipers are mounted behind the axle but I found one of the bolts for mounting the calipers is not easy to get in with the steering arm in the way.
The mounting points are symetrical so I mounted the calipers in front of the axle, no problem.
Only thing I will need to check is clearance when I get tubular A-arms.

for more visit my homepage www.pro-touring.nl , click the Nova and go to page 7.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks!

someone else told me the same...but my brackets are specifically for the discs and calipers of the Mitsubishi Colt CZ....this model does not exist in the US as far as I know.....Maybe some of the models in my list are available in the States...but I do not know how the offset of the disc/caliper, mounting points etc. will be.

Since I am not in the USA the brackets would also become expensive because of shipping costs. (let alone if it would be a complete kit)

if anyone here @ steve's is interested in the brackets or creating a conversion kit with parts available in the US, please PM me.

I cannot weld myself so I chose for bolting the brackets together, but this will be strong enough. (and no distortion from the heat)

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I went to Belgium today to pick up some parts and made a new friend.
Karl has a few Nova's , 2 convertible projects and a 4door and has a lot of work ahead of him...

4doors, a rear bumper and a good 62 grille!!
I stuffed it all in the daily and could close all doors :yes:
it was a 100mile trip one way....but well worth the drive.

I did a quick en dirty "photoshop" (don't have it and use paint) and have a picture I will use as my "goal":

Martin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I found this pic somewhere online, it was a 2door model with a good color and stance and I tried to make it into a 4door :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
found me some dirt cheap ($80) used wheels/tires!! 2 tires are reasonable, 2 are gone...there is some damage to one (edge, can maybe be fixed or just left like that) and the polished alu parts are oxidized under the clearcoat...nothing I cannot fix with (a lot of) elbow grease.

they are 17x7 in size..:

I can use them to roll the car around for now and will try to get them nice again at the end of the project I think.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts