Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link from facebook. Causing a lot of stir. I figure that if anyone has ever heard of this that it would be someone on this site. Sounds like an amazing find if it is true.

·
6,152 Posts
How about my 63 (not) factory fuel injection car. When I got the car it was completely apart but painted. They left two holes in the tailgate for, what I assume, a dealer emblem. No emblem to be found in the boxes of parts that came with the car. What's a guy to do?

Attachments

·
3,281 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a factory installation of that engine. Engines in these cars were traded often through the years and, without documentation, I'd hazard a guess that this Corvette engine was installed much later. Hard to tell from any pictures and I don't F/B.

·
12,925 Posts
There isn't enough information or pictures to decide anything about this car. The info doesn't say the car is a '62, just a '62 Corvette 327 in it. Doesn't say it was a dealer install. Even if it was, it wouldn't be a numbers matching car. As Frank mentions, the dash cluster is '65, but the tail lights are 62-64. Not enough evidence to make any kind of decision on this one.

Bob

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Could it have happened..? Sure, but in order to substantiate the claim you gotta back it up with documentation.. A couple of crappy pictures on some dirtbags FB page don’t make the case in my court..! It “might” be a 327 but their’s no clear picture of it showing a fuelie 327.. We all know that Bill Thomas built 62 & 63 Chevy II’s with various Chevrolet engines available in the day but they were pretty well documented and traceable.. I see nothing to indicate that this was anything other then just another Chevy II put together with parts from other cars.. Just like mine..! NEXT..!

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
There isn't enough information or pictures to decide anything about this car. The info doesn't say anything about a dealer install. Even if it was, it wouldn't be a numbers matching car. As Frank mentions, the dash cluster is '65. Not enough evidence to make any kind of decision on this one.

Bob
Without any Dealer paperwork or documentation, its just a nice story. The page from the book that they posted was full of inaccuracies (a V6 '63 Nova??).

I say that MAYBE someone found a Nova that SOMEONE had put a '62 Corvette fuelie engine in it back in the day. Corvette Fuelies "looked" the same from '57-'62. How do they know its a 327 and not a 283?

I didn't see any pics of the engine. You would think that would be the crowning jewel picture! And you could (I could) very quickly determine what the engine was originally in if they were to post a pic of the engine stamped numbers, suffix numbers, casting numbers, and casting date codes.

Once upon a time I had a '61 Corvette, so I became very familiar with how to decipher early Corvette engine numbers. Show the numbers, and then we can go from there....

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
here is his response to me a few days ago

• Craig Schwab THAT'S A '65 SPEEDOMETER , THERE WAS NEVER A 7 QUART PAN FRON THE FACTORY OR DEALER , THE BATTERY AND TRACTION BARS WERE DONE BY SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES THE FACTORY OR DEALER ,UNLESS YOU HAVE PAERWORK STATING THE CAR CAME WITH A V8 IT WILL BE HARD TO SAY IT IS ( NOT DENING IT IS A V8 CAR JUST SAYIN' IT'S DIFFICULT TO VERIFY )

• Peter Aleck
    Peter Aleck
    CRAIG THE SPEEDOMETER IS DATE STAMPED SEPT 7 OF 1962 EVERY PIECE IS DATE STAMPED WHEN IT WAS PUT INTO THE
    CAR EVEN THE BACK SEAT STILL HAS THE INFO TAG WIRED UNDER THE SEAT SAYING WHEN THE SEAT WAS PUT INTO THE CAR EVERYHING IS DATE STAMPED WHEN THE CAR WAS ASSEMBLED BY CHEVROLET

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Quote: "Peter Aleck CRAIG THE SPEEDOMETER IS DATE STAMPED SEPT 7 OF 1962 EVERY PIECE IS DATE STAMPED WHEN IT WAS PUT INTO THE
CAR EVEN THE BACK SEAT STILL HAS THE INFO TAG WIRED UNDER THE SEAT SAYING WHEN THE SEAT WAS PUT INTO THE CAR EVERYHING IS DATE STAMPED WHEN THE CAR WAS ASSEMBLED BY CHEVROLET"

Never heard of every piece having a date stamped on it, never heard of a tag saying the date it was installed in the car. Sounds like he may have sold quite the bill of goods or he is the one making this bill of goods up himself.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
There was an article in Hot Rod that touted putting a Corvette FI engine in a new Chevy II maybe mid 1962 issue. I can see the picture with the '62 and all of the components needed for the swap with 2 people standing. One could very well could have been Bill Thomas.I can't imagine anyone from my hometown affording the money for that.

·
3,281 Posts
Of course, everything posted on the inter webs is the truth. A Z03 '63 SS with F.I. was just a few box checks away.

What model was it? It was a '62, '63, '64, '65....

As for B.T., I asked him about it back in the day, at least 25 years ago. As I have posted here before, by his recollection, he was delivered 6 small block Chevy V-8s in varying iterations (including 283, 327, 2bbl, 4 bbl, and two F.I. 327s) to install in 6 different Chevy II/Novas. The cars included '62 model year cars and at least one '63 was done. According to him, he was to design bracketry, changes to core supports, clutch and transmission fitment and figure out other changes that would be needed to install the engines. Some of the parts for the conversion were extant through the dealer at the time, some he fabbed himself and were later produced by the factory. Again, this is from his memory, mid '90's. Included in the models were at least one wagon, one convertible, and at least one 4-door sedan, some 4-speeds and some automatics. The idea was to put the engines in the cars, see what the impediments would be, and to put a few miles on the cars to see what driving them was like and what changes he'd make to the cars. Bill was a race car builder already, with track cars, drag cars and Indy cars under his belt by 1963. By late '63, Chevrolet support in terms of performance parts dried up for him. But these 6 cars were built, and these are not to be confused with the fastbacks produced at his shop, which all started as convertibles.

I asked him one time whatever happened to the cars, and he said that after the installations were done and the cars tested, they were sold to try to recoup some money. So some lucky backdoor buyer got a 4-speed V-8 Chevy II wagon, 1962 model. Again, no vouching for his memory at the time, but the account was basically backed by one of his wrenches and a super nice guy, Warren Williams, who I also got to know. So even with inaccuracies very possible, this is what he related to me in about 1995 or '96.

·
12,925 Posts
The whole date stamp thing doesn't make sense. We can only dream about finding a date stamp on every component in a car. Didn't happen. The last 62 models were built in July/62. A speedometer with a September 7, 1962 date stamp, be it a manufacture date or install date, would be in a 1963 Chevy II not a '62. As already mentioned, the gauge cluster is 1965, so none of this adds up.

Bob

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
3,281 Posts
Exactly. A big difference between the kit being offered and being done. Big difference between having the part numbers in the catalog to order and having the parts in stock and in hand. Hey, there are '62 grilles I can order and prepay for right now, but they don't exist.

Mentioned a number of times here has been not only the questionable availability of all the parts for the kit and lack of documentation for a dealer conversion has been the timing. The Hot Rod Magazine article comes out March '62, 4 months left in the model year. The conversion parts, if your dealer could get their hands on them, were expensive enough. The fuelie engine, flywheel, clutch, trans and shifter probably put this conversion at a pretty high price even before labor, and to do it with a '62 or '63, you still have some weaknesses in the differential and wheels/brakes/hubs. So why not listen to that slick talking guy at the dealer who tells you to wait for the '64's when you can get a new one with the V-8 you want?

·
12,925 Posts
It's well known that dealer V/8 conversion kits were available for 1962 and 1963 Chevy IIs. Nobody knows how many were done by dealers and nobody knows how many were done in backyards. Chevrolet does not report any factory V/8 Chevy IIs produced in 1962. A document purported to be an official GM report, showed three V/8 Chevy IIs were built in 1963, all 283s and one a 4 speed. These may have been factory builds for internal use, as no documented V/8 1963 Chevy IIs have ever surfaced in the consumer market.

As mentioned in the report above, Bill Thomas jumped the gun in 1962 and started his conversions before the factory kits were available. The factory kits were both 283 and 327 conversions, including a 327/360 HP fuel injection. The cost of these conversions done by dealers was almost as much as the cost of the entire car when new, so it's believed very few were done. In 1964, buyers who waited could get a 283 and a 4 speed for $300.

The information being given on this Facebook 1962 is confusing to say the least. It's very possible this is a GM dealer V/8 conversion. If it is, it's not a numbers matching car, as the engine is different than the one installed on the factory assembly line. If it's a backyard conversion, it's still not numbers matching for the reason stated above. The story about all the components being date stamped when installed (including the speedometer) is beyond belief. The fact the speedo in this '62 is a '65 unit makes it even more unbelievable. It's difficult to give this story any credibility when the facts are so distorted. Bottom line is, it could well be a 1962 Chevy II V/8 conversion done by a dealer or a backyard mechanic, but without documentation and other proof, that's where the story ends.

Bob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts