Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the beginning stage of my build. Looking for info on CPP front clip +’s and -‘s any ideas and info appreciated!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
In the beginning stage of my build. Looking for info on CPP front clip +’s and -‘s any ideas and info appreciated!
Let me preface this by saying, I'm really trying to help you but you may not like some of what advice I offer.

Please understand that 50% or more, of the guys on this forum will never complete the projects they think they want or think they need.
First, throw out any thought of a timeline for your build.
Second, identify what you want to do with the car after it is complete.
Be realistic, do you need 300hp or 500hp? Autocross, drag race, show car, pro touring or pro street?
Next, identify the drivetrain you can realistically afford or maybe you already have on hand. Most everything about the project will center around the motor/trans combo you chose. The estimated Hp & torque will determine trans, rearend and most all suspension, wheels & tires.
Acquire or build the motor and trans. The reason for that is, if by the time you do that, your money, patience or enthusiasm has run out, you can sell the car (because you have not torn it completely apart),sell the motor & trans. Move on to another vehicle.
Understand, what ever you want out of this car, you can buy a completed project for much less than the cost of building it yourself.
Know your limitations, how much of this project can you do yourself and what part will need to be outsourced.
Lastly do not take any part of this car apart until you have identified why it needs to be done and do you have the replacement parts ready to install. If the purpose is to refinish or rebuild a part, are you ready to do that with all the needed materials, knowledge and ability.

EXAMPLE, Here in my town, we have a professional shop able to do every phase of auto work. Customer finds a 62-65 Nova setting for years with all original parts intact. Car is cheap so he buys it and promptly delivers it to the shop for modifications. They start disassembly and find rust in hidden places. Chassis and body need rust repair, one thing leads to another, body is separated from all suspension. Interior is gutted, customer is buying parts, 4 link rear, LS motor, body is in primer, customer is paying the shop every month for work done. Everything is tied together, quality paint requires quality trim and parts. 18-24 months later, pile of new parts in boxes, body in primer, unknown drivetrain. Customer has well over $30k invested with no end in sight. This is not a 66/67 Nova so it is obvious the build will far exceed the value of this car. Customer is out of money, he pulls the plug and everything will be sold for pennies on the dollar. 100 times harder to sell a vehicle in pieces than a roller or running car.
These are lives lessons, from someone that has been involved in old cars for 50 years. I hope some of this will help keep someone from repeating the mistakes of others. Luckily, the project profiled is not mine.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I cannot help you on the CPP clip but I finished my car a few months ago and I clipped my front end. After looking at pretty much all the front and rear end options I chose the TCI IFS clip with their four link in the rear. There are a lot of very good companies offering parts for the first gen nova's. I agree with the above. You pretty much need a complete build in your mind before starting. It took me and a couple of other guys fourteen months to do a complete rotisserie build. It is very easy to get discouraged. There is a lot of work before any real enjoyment.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Let me preface this by saying, I'm really trying to help you but you may not like some of what advice I offer.

Please understand that 50% or more, of the guys on this forum will never complete the projects they think they want or think they need.
First, throw out any thought of a timeline for your build.
Second, identify what you want to do with the car after it is complete.
Be realistic, do you need 300hp or 500hp? Autocross, drag race, show car, pro touring or pro street?
Next, identify the drivetrain you can realistically afford or maybe you already have on hand. Most everything about the project will center around the motor/trans combo you chose. The estimated Hp & torque will determine trans, rearend and most all suspension, wheels & tires.
Acquire or build the motor and trans. The reason for that is, if by the time you do that, your money, patience or enthusiasm has run out, you can sell the car (because you have not torn it completely apart),sell the motor & trans. Move on to another vehicle.
Understand, what ever you want out of this car, you can buy a completed project for much less than the cost of building it yourself.
Know your limitations, how much of this project can you do yourself and what part will need to be outsourced.
Lastly do not take any part of this car apart until you have identified why it needs to be done and do you have the replacement parts ready to install. If the purpose is to refinish or rebuild a part, are you ready to do that with all the needed materials, knowledge and ability.

EXAMPLE, Here in my town, we have a professional shop able to do every phase of auto work. Customer finds a 62-65 Nova setting for years with all original parts intact. Car is cheap so he buys it and promptly delivers it to the shop for modifications. They start disassembly and find rust in hidden places. Chassis and body need rust repair, one thing leads to another, body is separated from all suspension. Interior is gutted, customer is buying parts, 4 link rear, LS motor, body is in primer, customer is paying the shop every month for work done. Everything is tied together, quality paint requires quality trim and parts. 18-24 months later, pile of new parts in boxes, body in primer, unknown drivetrain. Customer has well over $30k invested with no end in sight. This is not a 66/67 Nova so it is obvious the build will far exceed the value of this car. Customer is out of money, he pulls the plug and everything will be sold for pennies on the dollar. 100 times harder to sell a vehicle in pieces than a roller or running car.
These are lives lessons, from someone that has been involved in old cars for 50 years. I hope some of this will help keep someone from repeating the mistakes of others. Luckily, the project profiled is not mine.

Sooooooo, you don't like CPP stuff, got it. :turn:

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Trying to be the voice of reason, sorry if that irritated you. The CPP kit with tubular lower control arms and the plate to eliminate torque rods is IMO the best bang for the buck for a 1st gen car.
Again, I apologize for the lengthy post.

·
Registered
780 Posts
it's s bit more costly, but I was overly impressed by the fit and quality of the cbr front end parts. I just can't wait to be able to drive it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
build plan

first thing first, buy the best parts you get even if you think cannot afford them quality remains after the price is forgotten!! research and more research talk to the companies reps. google there performance or lack there of. I have had my fake car since 1986 and I have scrimped and saved to get the best stuff and it has been well worth it!! I have decided to deep six my stock front end and replace it CBR parts in my opinion it is top shelf!! and another small item what ever time you think it is going to take to do something on an old automobile TRIPLE IT!! good luck in your journey!! :yes::yes:

Charlie p.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Build Plan

WOW! Didn’t see all that coming! I probably should have qualified my plan and my past experience in the beginning. I’ve did many builds through the years of all descriptions. I’ve been at it for 50yrs. I’ve put MII crossmembers under a half dozen Street Rods, A 1st Gen Chevy II, A Mercury Comet and a Falcon. I’ve been out of it for about 10yrs but still own a semi modified/restored 62 Chevy II 100 2DR Sedan. Still a 6 banger but is backed by a 700R4 and a narrowed 8.8 from a 95 Explorer, 3.73s and TracLoc. It just doesn’t drive as well as I would like ( power steering and disc brakes) everything in the front is new. Have thought for awhile about doing the mustang II and wasn’t sure if I wanted to just do the crossmember, install uprights and skin the inner panels after removing the towers as I’ve done before or consider a clip. It’s been almost 20years ago that I did the last one on a 37 Willys. The clips weren’t and option when I did the others. Just been researching and seems it’s the “thing” in today’s builds. Wanted to get some input that might change my thinking. I realize I can do the crossmember install for half the price as I still have the plans for building it and just buy the rest. Also might change the engine as the 6 is getting a little tired and outdated. The little car is done and I don’t have to do anything really. Just need a project I guess. The clips seem to be all over the place in cost and quality. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
686 Posts
WOW! Didn’t see all that coming! I probably should have qualified my plan and my past experience in the beginning. I’ve did many builds through the years of all descriptions. I’ve been at it for 50yrs. I’ve put MII crossmembers under a half dozen Street Rods, A 1st Gen Chevy II, A Mercury Comet and a Falcon. I’ve been out of it for about 10yrs but still own a semi modified/restored 62 Chevy II 100 2DR Sedan. Still a 6 banger but is backed by a 700R4 and a narrowed 8.8 from a 95 Explorer, 3.73s and TracLoc. It just doesn’t drive as well as I would like ( power steering and disc brakes) everything in the front is new. Have thought for awhile about doing the mustang II and wasn’t sure if I wanted to just do the crossmember, install uprights and skin the inner panels after removing the towers as I’ve done before or consider a clip. It’s been almost 20years ago that I did the last one on a 37 Willys. The clips weren’t and option when I did the others. Just been researching and seems it’s the “thing” in today’s builds. Wanted to get some input that might change my thinking. I realize I can do the crossmember install for half the price as I still have the plans for building it and just buy the rest. Also might change the engine as the 6 is getting a little tired and outdated. The little car is done and I don’t have to do anything really. Just need a project I guess. The clips seem to be all over the place in cost and quality. Thanks to all.
RIGHT!! you ask one question and get the novels of knowledg:no:e.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
62 Nova 400

First of all, that 62 of yours is an unusual combo. There is a recent thread on here concerning the 400 trim level in a 2dr sedan.

Based on the fact you say the front end is all new and it is all about the driving experience, I really really would suggest you look at the CPP kit that includes tubular lower control arms and a plate to eliminate the torque rods, for way less than the cost of a clip. I have used this kit on a 62 wagon and a 63 hardtop with excellent results. The very purpose of this kit is to straighten these cars out on the road. I can tell your a DIY kind of guy so maybe this kit just doesn't have enough challenge to it but I guarantee the results.
Good Luck and enjoy your sedan. I hope it still has the exterior trim as I love that about the 62 400 models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts