Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I am installing the spindle to the ball joints with 45 lbs of torque. The holes are too low, and I can't get the cotter pins in. Is it O.K. to add some more torque to get the holes and slotted nuts lined up? I am following the repair manual and it says 45 lbs. Any help would be great.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Hi,
I am installing the spindle to the ball joints with 45 lbs of torque. The holes are too low, and I can't get the cotter pins in. Is it O.K. to add some more torque to get the holes and slotted nuts lined up? I am following the repair manual and it says 45 lbs. Any help would be great.
Thank you
If it's simply a matter of turning it 1/8 of a turn to get it to line up with a slot in the castle nut, go for it. If the hole is down inside the nut, to the point where you would have to crank it around many times, then the ball joint studs are too short, or not seated properly.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
It is about a half a turn from being clear. If they are not seated properly, is there a thread that can guide me through this process?
If you're only half a turn out, I think you're still okay. You might have to torque it more than 45lbs to seat the ball joint all the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts