Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm putting mine in now and I'm already going to blame this post for putting it in my head that I can pull this off just in case I screw it up. Of course if it goes well I will shower praise upon the quality of the instruction.

One thing I did learn putting the gasket on the glass is that a cheap plastic body filler spreader works great because it's wide and has a thin flat edge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
struggling with rear reveal molding

Awesome thread. I just pulled my front and rear windshield with no issues.

Thanks!!!
I pulled everything to get ready for paint. The old window gaskets were shot as were the rear window clips, Now I have reinstalled the windshield with no issues and trying to get rear window trim on is a nightmare. Rear window went in with the 1/4" cord trick. Any trim suggestions as I have tried everything including lubing the gasket with WD40 and still no luck. Top trim went on great and sides look like they will lock too. The problem appears to be the bottom. It doesn't seem to snap in and lock like the other pieces. Struggling to keep from scratching new paint and don't want to hit it and dent with too much force. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks so much for this! That was a simple job. Took longer to get the gasket on the windshield than anything else. I used 5/16 rope. Love doing this stuff myself.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Very well done. I would have never thought of using soap. Great idea.I will use this thread whenever it comes time to put the glass back in .
My, how time flies. it is great to have the pictures back. hopefully I will be able to use this thread within the next few months:D
My original reply was ten years ago.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I followed these instruction to a "T". Smooth and easy! thanks for this website!!! I have learned so much and did most of my build myself

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Great thread. But I thought it's easier to install "blocks" under the glass so that it is sort of supported at the proper spot. Is this not needed on 62-67 due to the lip on the gasket?
correct! the "blocks" are for the 68 on up windows. however the block are needed for the rear window install on 66 and 67 novas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
great post, getting ready to do this with a new gasket. just bought 3M bedding/glazing compound that my local hot rod shop suggested.

inside my trashed stock gasket there is what looks like gray caulking that would stick the gasket to the edge of the glass. do you pump some butyl in there before putting the glass into the new gasket?

also seeing a lot about urethane vs butyl. but you would have to urethane each step (gasket to glass, gasket to metal frame, gasket to pinch weld) to actually have true strength. correct? otherwise there would be a weak link in the system, if you will.

thanks for any info/thoughts,

Rusty

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Hoping to get the photos restored. Photobucket ruined a huge amount of information on a lot of websites by what they did.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I had found this thread a couple of years ago and just happen to download the text and photos into a Word Document which was stored in my achieve folder. While looking for a thread about sealers for the windshield gasket, I ran across the thread again but thanks to photobucket, the photos were to blurred to be useful. I have managed to copy the photos and am reposting them here.

I spent many hours researching the internet looking for sites showing the installation of windshields but this and a post on another Nova site were the only two with the other site being a duplication of this thread. Not much info out there so I save every tidbit of info I can.

I hope Stupesnova will not get upset with me for reposting these photos for better clarity so others can again use his thread. :eek:

Attachments

121 - 134 of 134 Posts