Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else had urethane bushing fitment issues with their original mono-leaf springs using all stock hardware/components? I'm having trouble with my all original '64. I have both brands of bushings that are made for '62-'67 Chevy II/Novas (Energy Suspension and ProThane) and neither one is correct. The Energy Suspension main eye bushings (front) is:

1. Short on the overall length
  2. The flange is too thick
  3. Face of bushing is flat. -should be beveled to match the frame pocket.
  4. Stem diameter is small. -loose fit in spring eye.

The shackle bushings are atleast beveled on the face to somewhat match the shackles but their overall length is also short. This will give no preload and slop in the assembly.

The ProThane set is better but still has issues with the diameter of the main eye bushing stem. Neither bushing (main eye or shackle) has a bevel on the face to match the bushing seat.

I'm talking with Energy Suspension about this and have given them a bunch of dimensions to build bushings that fit. They say that this is the first they have heard of this issue but will try to take care of my problem. I have heard only of a few people running into this. Anyone else out there run into this and/or would be interested in E.S. building a new/different bushing set? They will not change their current kit as it has been selling for 15-20yrs.

Thanks for any feedback, Paul

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used the Energy Suspension set on my vehicle. I recall they were a tad bit short and the metal eye on the leaf spring did not fit in the bushing. I had to use a file to file down the metal eye, mainly because of the oxidation and rust that accumulated.

I recommend leaving the shackles slightly loose to allow you to move the leaf springs around while attempting to put the bolts in.

I was a little annoyed that it was a little harder to install that I wanted, but worked out in the end. Use alot of grease! Clean it up later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The dimensions of the urethane front leaf spring bushings (main eye) are so far off with all stock components that it would not install or perform correctly. I have no rust or other hardware issues, just poor bushing dimensions. The bushings cannot be modified to fit without adding shims for length and diameter.

The short shackle bushings would need shims/spacers for length and that's ignoring the thin flange in the upper/frame position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts