Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified their 62-65 front fenders to fit a bigger tire up front? If so what did you end up doing and can anyone provide any photos?
I have some original fenders I plan on re-doing and they are'nt in the best of shape anyway so why not try and do a little modification while Im at it. I will be running CBR everything up front, I know you can fit a 225/45/17 without modification. Lets hear from you that have done it with success.
Thanks!!:D

·
Registered
730 Posts
I made adjustable fender support rods, allowed me to push the front of the fender out an inch or so to eliminate rubbing while turning

arndog

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made adjustable fender support rods, allowed me to push the front of the fender out an inch or so to eliminate rubbing while turning

arndog
what suspension ? tire combo? you didnt do any cutting or rolling the fender lip? any photos?
Thanks a million!
Travis

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I think that is the size that is on Denise's wagon,full CBR and small spacer on the fender support

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that is the size that is on Denise's wagon,full CBR and small spacer on the fender support
Yes sir, Denises' wagon is running the 225/45. I would like to go to a 235/45/17. I am running a 17x7 wheel with a 5.125 backspace.
Travis

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I went low budget...got a longer bolt for the fender support rod, and stuck an old lugnut on it as a spacer. 3/4" more space, clears great.

Check your alignment too...not enough caster will make it worse.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went low budget...got a longer bolt for the fender support rod, and stuck an old lugnut on it as a spacer. 3/4" more space, clears great.

Check your alignment too...not enough caster will make it worse.
Thanks Pat!
Any Photos of modifications done would be greatly appreciated! Im gonna start repairing the front fenders next thing!:yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Travis, a couple things that may assist you...

unfortunately i'm in the stone-age on my
computer right now, 1st... check my siggy
area for "Albums" click on the "Friends"
section and then go to the Flyer/|JohnnyRotten
album. there you'll see images of my Ol'65
wagon "the JollyRodder" the front fenders
pushed out to 1/8" of the front bumper
via the shop build fender braces i made
for it. 2nd... stock fender braces as a sample i used
3/8" cold rolled steel rod. 3/4" longer than stock.
i heated the ends cherry red then flattened with
a sledge hammer. you'll notice on your units
the ends are bent and on different angles.
just match the angles on the new rods, center
punch the ends and drill for the 5/16" bolts.

the material will be less than $5 bucks at your
local hardware store... it's crucial, in my opinion
that the fender does not contact the bumper.
no need to scratch your paint. if by chance you
make the rods too short/too long it's really a
quicky job to make these braces. i ended up
making two sets as the first set was about 1/4"
too long. i think you & your Dad can make a set
in about 15-20 minutes. ;)

hope i've helped you,

be well....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a chris Alston clip, and 17x7wheels with 225's. I used a body trick I did with my darts rear wheel well. Just before the lip, we cut a pie slice out of the fender, about 4" high and 1" along the bottom. Then pushed the inner lip back and welded the fender together. When it's done, most would never know.

·
Registered
612 Posts
MrBigBlockDart
It looks like the car you did it on had new paint on it, Must have killed you to start cutting and grinding on it after it was all finished.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That wasn't bad. It was the realization that I had water in the lines when I sprayed primer, and it blistered. It's getting redone.... So I took the time to work out those interference issues.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a chris Alston clip, and 17x7wheels with 225's. I used a body trick I did with my darts rear wheel well. Just before the lip, we cut a pie slice out of the fender, about 4" high and 1" along the bottom. Then pushed the inner lip back and welded the fender together. When it's done, most would never know.

Did you try fitting 235's up front? What about clearance on the top of the tire area to fender lip? Any pics of the fender cut up before the mod was done?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I only tried those tires. The amount of trimming needed has everything to do with your set up. I went with a stiffer spring rate, and was able to lower the car firmly. The amount of cutting is going to depend on the wheel backspace, tire height/width and the suspension you have.

The wheel/tire combo I have was cobbled together from a friend with a street rod and a set of used tires from a WRX. The car is at the paint shop- the tires may be 245's. I think you are best off setting up the car, getting the wheels, and then trying a couple of tires. I think the actual width of the wheel mounting surface has lots to do with the way the tire moves in relation to the wheel well.

I'm cheap- the wheels were $300 and tires were 100. The wheels have ford bolt pattern up front, and chevy in the rear. I then had the rear narrowed 1" each side to center the wheels, I have another 1" clearance in the rear, we also rolled the rear wheel lips.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only tried those tires. The amount of trimming needed has everything to do with your set up. I went with a stiffer spring rate, and was able to lower the car firmly. The amount of cutting is going to depend on the wheel backspace, tire height/width and the suspension you have.

The wheel/tire combo I have was cobbled together from a friend with a street rod and a set of used tires from a WRX. The car is at the paint shop- the tires may be 245's. I think you are best off setting up the car, getting the wheels, and then trying a couple of tires. I think the actual width of the wheel mounting surface has lots to do with the way the tire moves in relation to the wheel well.

I'm cheap- the wheels were $300 and tires were 100. The wheels have ford bolt pattern up front, and chevy in the rear. I then had the rear narrowed 1" each side to center the wheels, I have another 1" clearance in the rear, we also rolled the rear wheel lips.

Are you running 17x7 in the rear or 17x8?
I am running a 5.125 backspace all the way around and CBR frt and rr susp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tire clearance on front fenders

I'm not sure but I would check to see if you can get a narrowed front clip from CBR. I know that these are available from both Heidts, and TCI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts