Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 62 hardtop Nova 400. What are the differences between 62 and the 63/64 hinges? Will a 63 up hood bolt on my car? What about the aftermarket hoods?
Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
The 62-65 hoods are all the same bolt pattern either oem or aftermarket. The hinges on the 62 are different where they bolt to the car. I believe the 63-65 hinges are the same.

If you still have the original front end on your 62, you will need 62 only hinges to bolt on any hood. If you have one of the aftermarket front clips, they use the 63-65 hinges.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The '62 hinge has a short 6-8" bolt pattern on the body where the 63-65 is probably 8-10" long. The 62 Spring is short and fat, the 63+ is longer and thinner. Pretty sure you can add a nut and use the later hinge.

Also, be aware door latches are different as well. Other than trim, most parts interchange easily.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am almost finished installing a Checkered Racing front end on the car.
The hinge brackets come with holes for both style hinges, I am at the point of putting the hood on now, I just wanted to make sure the 62 hinges locate the hood in the correct spot and actually bolt to an aftermarket cowl hood. I'm waiting for someone to help me try to put the hood on.
There is more fabrication to this front end than I thought there would be, but I just about have it now.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
GET RID OF THE 1962 HINGES!!! If you have the opportunity to move to the 1963 - 64 hinges do it. Nothing is available for the 62 hinges that I am aware of and according to the GM parts book they are Nova only. They tend to wear substantially more than the later hinges.

The 1965 hinge is different than 63 - 64 but will interchange. I can never remember what is different, I think it used a different spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts