Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Dad and I are trying to spec out a 454 that can make 600 hp and can be driveable on the street. I don't know if its too much to ask, but that's what dad wants.

Were looking at a set of merlin heads, not sure which ones yet, for around $700, so thats what we'll be working with.

Do you think this is doable?

I've tried the flow numbers from a 310 CC merlin in Dyno2003, and I can't seem to get it to the 600 hp mark without getting into 260* duration @.050 cams!

I'm thinking we'll run 10:1 compression, a single plane intake, and around 1100 CFM throttle body with a tuned port injection setup.

Any input here would be great, since I'm beginnng to think 550 hp is about all we'll be able to get. it seems like with 781 oval port flow numbers I was getting 600 hp on that program!

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Supercharging it might be easier. I figured a 460 CID with 6 psi boost and 9:1 compression can get 650hp. 8 psi will get 700 hp.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
If you go to my website through the link below and select the "Engine" tab, you will see what components I used. It made 600hp on the dyno, runs on pump gas, and has a very wide torque curve which is exactly what I wanted for a street car that I can take to the track also.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
we were thinking about that, but dad doesn't want to because he wants the motor to be under a stock hood. unless you mean a centrifugal super charger? one of those should fit, right?

Whats the duration of the cam you used?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
They make low profile superchargers. There was a thread in this forum where I posted the link to Weiand supercharger dimensions. Sure, you could use a centrifugal also provided you have the room.
Making that much HP isn't a real problem these days.
I found several crate BBC's that make in excess of 600 hp for between 8-15 grand.
Why don't you just buy a ZZ572 and call it a day? 620 hp new in the box for about $12,500 complete and ready to go.
If that's too rich then maybe a 502HO with 8.75:1 will get you 550hp for about $5,600. If that's not enough then add a B&M low profile blower and you'll have about 625hp for about 8 grand. World has several crate solutions as do many others.
If you have less than 5 grand to spend then build a tough 475hp BB and spray it with nitrous.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
im my opion dont limit yourself to a crate engine the cost of them isnt worth it. with the right combo you can get this kind of power. check out this combo sheet. depending on what you can do this motor can be built for under 6grand..

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't be getting a crate motor... we've already accummulated alot of parts to build our own so we are pretty far down that road.

Anyway, I was playing around on that dyno program i've got, and managed to get 600 hp with a comp 11-700-9 with factory rocker ratios.

its 288 296 seat to seat
253 261 @.050

.680 lift.

with 1.8 rockers, it would be in the .7 lift area. Is this to much lift for the street? Is this too much cam in general? I think it might be. it makes the power at 6000 rpms, which I don't think is too high...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts