Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm trying this out for the first time! I have a 65 wagon with a 230 six and a powerglide. I want to put in a mildly built 250 six and a turbo 350. It currently has a column shifter, but that will be replaced with a Chevelle horseshoe floor shifter. Since I'm not going to race this beast I'd like to up-grade the steering a bit. All of the companies that have rack & pinion state that their stuff won't work with a six. I do realize that the steering column must be changed. What would be the best way (cheapest) to get power steering and keep the six? Has anyone stuffed in a, say, Chevelle column?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
I am going to follow your post as I also would like PS in my 68, which has a 250 engine, automatic, PB and AC.

There is very little room between the water pump and radiator. I cannot find room for a radiator shroud or electrical fans.

I have not figured out how to add another pulley or alter the routing of the original belt system.

Hope you get some good advise from your post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
CBR rack and pinion works with a six. You just gotta change your oil pan to rear sump. You could even take a BFH to the stock pan to get clearance.

didn't see that you said power steering. Not sure how the pump and lines work out.

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
Honestly for you inline guys the Electronic Power steering is the best option. Ps pump mount on 62-67 is a crappy design. And due to the length of the six most power racks don’t fit. A manual rack with EPS would be the bomb but $$$$

·
Registered
101 Posts
wagon

did you have photos of the wagon I would like a three speed column shift. wagon. its too bad your changing it, they are getting harder to find all stock

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cbr power rack

I used my stock column, changed the oil pan to a rear sump and put in the cbr power rack plumbed to my original power steering pump. You have to find a good used oil pan and oil pickup but many have done it. Cbr has all the parts except the oil pan. I have a 194 in my 63. Also had to change location of dipstick to rear in front of starter ,there was a plugged boss on my block that made it easy,some blocks need to be drilled out at that rear boss when the pan is off

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
I used my stock column, changed the oil pan to a rear sump and put in the cbr power rack plumbed to my original power steering pump. You have to find a good used oil pan and oil pickup but many have done it. Cbr has all the parts except the oil pan. I have a 194 in my 63. Also had to change location of dipstick to rear in front of starter ,there was a plugged boss on my block that made it easy,some blocks need to be drilled out at that rear boss when the pan is off
At this point you would have to find an early Chevette or Maval rack to work with a straight six.CBR has changed rack location and rack style and will no longer work with a six banger:(

·
Registered
636 Posts
At this point you would have to find an early Chevette or Maval rack to work with a straight six.CBR has changed rack location and rack style and will no longer work with a six banger:(
Oh, I didnt know that, probably best bet is the manual rack and eps, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
Bearing kit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, I'm with you Lou on this post also. Would be nice to add PS to our 6's.

Jim...

I am going to follow your post as I also would like PS in my 68, which has a 250 engine, automatic, PB and AC.

There is very little room between the water pump and radiator. I cannot find room for a radiator shroud or electrical fans.

I have not figured out how to add another pulley or alter the routing of the original belt system.

Hope you get some good advise from your post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks everyone for chiming in. I think in my case that a rack & pinion will be out of my price-range. Has anyone just replaced the steering column with an after market column (no shifter linkage) and added a power steering unit to the end of the steering shaft in place of the OEM steering box? I know there are companies that make them, but all say NO to the sixes. I really don't see why as the after-market boxes connect right to the original drag link? And does anybody know how long a Chevy II steering column is?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts