Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the 3rd gen cars and have questions on the front springs. I had a set of 6 cyl springs that were old and weak. I got a pair of V8 springs from a friend. The wire size was smaller and they were less coils in them than the 6 cyl springs. Then I took a set of springs I had from a 71 V8 car with a/c and they are the same size as the 6 cyl springs. A friend who was a parts mgr for GM the past 25 yrs told me the 6 cyl springs were bigger than the V8 springs because the 6 cyl weighed more than the V8. Does anyone know the wire size and number ofcoils on springs in a 6 banger and a V8 then a V8 with air? Just curious about this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
springs

there are currently 3 different front coil spring options
1 all except 350-396 68-70
2.V-8 350-396 68-70
3 71-73 v-8 307-350

As you can see many choices, I have a set but this is info that I have 9/16 diameter 7 coils (counted opp. side of spring cut end) 15" free length My car was a 6 cyl. w/o any options

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are currently 3 different front coil spring options
1 all except 350-396 68-70
2.V-8 350-396 68-70
3 71-73 v-8 307-350

As you can see many choices, I have a set but this is info that I have 9/16 diameter 7 coils (counted opp. side of spring cut end) 15" free length My car was a 6 cyl. w/o any options
I think there must have been more when the cars were new but can't swear to that. I remember swapping springs back in the late 60s early 70s and there were a bunch we use to get from Chevy parts dept. trying to get a ride height we liked. In any case, Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a question on some spring specs
I installed a set of Detroit speed tubulars on my 71 but I had a brain fart and used my stock springs till I could disk out 200 bucks for some hotchkis springs
Now they are too weak (maybe due to begin 40 years old) so I got more than a 2"drop and issues at speed with leaving half of my headers on the street if a catch a bump or dip. Now my jegs catalog came in this month and in there are some qa1 springs for 30 bucks the only thing is that there not application specific they go by rate ,id,and height

Does anyone one know the specs for 71 sbc stock springs ?
Id ?
Height?
Recommended rate ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great
Hey thanks with that I could get the ones I need

Can I run 2" drop arms with 2" drop springs or with that start to affect suspension geometry ?

Also should I run rubber isolators? My car didn't have them factory is that common ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
front end

are you talking about 2" drop spindles and 2" drop springs? are you talking about the rubber bump stops on the lower a-arm or upper? yes definetly. I would suggest one or the other but not both (spindle or spring). I run 2" drop spindles w/ QA=1 pro coil and I can lay it down to about 2" of ground clearance at the frame x-member gotta be real careful how and where you drive it. BTW I have a set of Heidts 2' drop spindle for sale.in original box w/ ithttp:http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/u.../media/020_zpsb736c2b0.jpg.html6c2b0.jpg.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am running a stock spindle with Kmj tubulars the tech I called calmed that the a-arms by them selves would give me a 2" drop or more depending on my springs right now with the springs so weak the car is decked also about 2" off the ground and I like it but I can't drive it at speed because if I hit a bump I rub all my headers
What spring rate do you run ?
Ate they stock free height ?

And no not the bump stop I mean the rubber isolators you put under the springs and the spring pockets

·
Registered
89 Posts
springs

never heard of lower arms w/2" drop. I run a QA-1 PRO coilover in front. I believe that the springs a 400lbs/ inch I can adjust my front end ride ht. about 3" I have tubular lower a-arm also w/ bumpstops on lower a-arms. they prevent the a -arm from smashing the frame and/or bottoming out the shock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts