Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the block on my 6cyl has the # 8994256. which the internet says is a 292 block, but the fuel pump is in front of the motor mount, which I'm told makes it a 250. Help?

·
13,706 Posts
Based on previous posts, I believe your Nova is a '71. In 1971, the 250 was the only factory six cylinder available for the Nova. If it's a different six cylinder, it's not original to the car.

Bob

·
Registered
226 Posts
I haven't seen any 250 block with those numbers.

I do see a 3994258 for a 292 block 1963 - 90 (not 8994256) .

Yes, a 292 will be taller and if you are running a downdraft carb & stock air cleaner there wouldn't be clearance with a stock hood. As you noted the motor mount & fuel pump locations are switched on a 292.

Does the dipstick go straight into the pan rail (62-67), or does it enter the block a little higher and on an angle (68-on). Or is a Chevy II forward sump with the dipstick going into the block adjacent to the distributor?

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
If you could post a photo of the passenger's side of the engine, it would help us. Every source I checked came back with '292'.

If you can't post a photo, let us know if the distributor is pretty much centered on the block (292) or more toward the front (194-250).

This is an interesting topic to me, because I've always liked stovebolt sixes!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
250 Chevy Six verses 292 Chevy six :

easy ..... look on the 'pass' side of any (late model) chev Six .

u'r looking at the "Lifter / Side Covers" : 250 motor has 4" side covers.

292 motor has 6" side covers , you CAN TELL , that's what makes a 292 engine a " TALL DECK " motor
(like 1 1/4" taller).

yes ----- there are some other differences : pass - side
"fuel pump" & pass - side " motor mount" are switched position ..... but, that's easy. 292 oil pan IS bigger ,
and, most 292's have a
"Huge crank Ballancer" ...... which makes the engine 'measure longer' , for clearing your radiator.
Most of the time, you just run an "electric fuel pump" , and, change the "pass side motor mount"
.... your golden.

(I have pictures of each engine)

If you were installing a 292 in a 3rd GEN ..... it will be ALOT easier, for more room in the engine bay.

Post a picture of u'r motor --- on the 'pass side' (side covers).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts