Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to bolt on my intake/exhaust manifolds on my 194 6 cyl so I can get this thing running. I'm kinda' in a delima. I've got two types to choose from and can't figure out which one to use. This is my first 6 cyl build and I'm not familiar with how different carb setups effect these engines performancewise. This is what I have:

This is my original choice. The stock manifold with a Holley/ Webber 2bbl progressive carb. From what I understand, these were originally used on early mustang II pinto 4cyl engines. I've heard these are better to use than the stock 1bbl and get better fuel mileage. But i'm not sure if the cfm rating is too small for a .040 over 194ci 6 cyl ( 199 ci ?). The guy I got this from said he was running it on a 200ci ford 6cyl. I don't want to starve the engine and lack power. I do want it to have good fuel economy. It has an electric choke on it, but I have yet to figure out the linkage for the throttle and TH 350 trans kickdown cable. I also have to rebuild the carb. This setup will require more time and money to get ready than my other option below.
[/IMG]

Heres my 2nd choice. This is an Offenhauser daul 1bbl intake. The carbs are 1bbl Holleys. I am not familiar with these carbs and have never seen them before and don't know what they originally came on. They came with the intake. I bought this setup off E-bay recently. It came off a running engine. The guy blew a head gasket and had cylinder head issuies on the engine and decided to go with a small block. As you can see, this setup is complete and has the linkage figured up for the throttle and kickdown. The guy said I should be able to bolt it on and run it like as is and I shouldn't need to rebuild the carbs. I am leaning heavily toward using this instead but just don't know if it is too much for the engine or even how it will perform and what fuel mileage it will give vs. the setup above. Other than the cool factor it has everything figured up and would seem the quickest and least expensive route to go.
I am using the stock exhaust manifold with either setup. The front carb is setup for the choke and I can get it to work with the stock choke mechanism by bending the rod to fit the carbs choke lever in front. The rear carb has the choke fixed open and disabled. Not sure why.
[/IMG]

Anyone with more experience with these setups? I am looking for opinions and advice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I'd go with the Offenhauser 2x1 setup personally if you can get both carbs tuned and working properly. The stock exhaust manifold should bolt straight up to it with no issues.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here's a couple real simple carb setups, no tuning required:eek:

Just kidding.

I would suggest the Holley/Weber combo until you can source an Offy intake with 390 4 bbl. The 2X1 intake is a tough one to tune correctly and you could probably sell or trade it to get the 4 bbl setup.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Offy 4bbl intake and Holley 390 is my prefered choice, if money wasn't a factor. I have to work wth what I have untill chance smiles on me and I run accross a decent setup for a reasonable price I can afford.
What makes these hard to tune? If the carbs match, it should be like running a 2bbl.
Another possibility is finding another Holley/Webber and adapter and run those on the dual intake. I've seen what that setup can do on a 235 6cyl and I was impressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts