Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, looking to upgrade my HEI set up on my 63 wagon, 194ci... currently have a stock rebuilt HEI, large cap external coil, out of a 76 nova

wondering if there are any other options? think there is a small cap version, anyone know who sells them? or if there are any upgraded HEI's out there?

just pulled off my cap to replace it and the rotor and the advance weights were all worn funny and one of the pins holding them in was broken off (pressed in rivit/stud) probably what caused the funny wear. had to temp. spot weld it to put it all back togeter just to keep it on the road for work tomorrow.
the dist. before this one, also a stock parts store rebuild, about 3 months (3000 miles) into running it the pin holding the drive gear to the shaft shredded, rendering it useless. The local speed shop replaced that one under warranty, but they gave me a hassle and said it was my fault, b/s.

so instead of putting a third one in a year back in the car I'm hoping there is a better option......

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
Do you still have your original distributor? If so, you can buy an upgrade kit from Pertronix to covert that one to HEI. I have a kit but haven't installed it yet. There are about 3 or 4 threads on how to do that in this section somewhere.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Crane also makes a up-grade 700-0226(it's a XR700/XR3000) Points conversion ignition.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Do you still have your original distributor? If so, you can buy an upgrade kit from Pertronix to covert that one to HEI. I have a kit but haven't installed it yet. There are about 3 or 4 threads on how to do that in this section somewhere.
That's a good idea. I put an HEI on my 250, while it was still in the car. Worked like a charm. But why bother with that? The points actually work pretty good for L-6's, because they never see rpm anyway. After I changed mine out, I really didn't notice much of a difference. Probably ran a tiny bit smoother, but not terribly noticeable. I got the parts for free, so that's why I did it. As long as he has the gear, he might as well try it again.

I think the small cap series is computerized, meaning you won't get it to work. Instead of the 4 pin port, I think they're 7??

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The point eliminator conversions will not supply the HEI true conversion.

HEI: High Energy Ignition 40,000 volts

You can purchase all you need at your local parts store.

You will need a Distributor, cap, rotor, coil & wires

You will purchase these items under application of 1975-76 250ci 6 cylinder engine.

This will be about a 200.00 investment.
or check with your local salvage yard.
250ci/292ci same unit.

You will also have to change the resistor wire going from the firewall to the coil, this is the + positive power wire to your current points system. You will need to replace it with a 14ga wire. So coil for HEI gets a true 12 volt supply.

The best improvement from a HEI is at speed and mileage is when the true difference can be measured. Also easy starting, cleaner running engine. This would be my number one investment if I had a pre 1975 6 cyc engine.

Al

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran the pertronix on the stock distributor before I switched over to the HEI.
It ran well for a while (2 yrs or so) then seemed to have a miss. Probably not ignition related, but I had the HEI so I converted it over. Runs a ton better w/ the HEI over the Pertronix...it's almost the same cost to use a stock HEI as w/ the pertronix. Think the Pertronix kit was under $100?, rebuilt stock distributor was $125?+ a diff. coil. More work but definately worth it....
The best improvement from a HEI is at speed and mileage is when the true difference can be measured. Also easy starting, cleaner running engine. This would be my number one investment if I had a pre 1975 6 cyc engine.
Al, agreed 100%...for the money it's well worth it.

So thanks for the ideas on the pertronix, but I've already been down that road and prefer the HEI set up.... just looking for a better quality part, performance I'm more than happy with.

buy a MSD pro billet distributor with a MSD 6AL control box and you will never have problems again. Its a little pricey but you have a lot of control options and you should have the same amount of fire.
MSD makes a distributor for the six? I'll have to check out their website. This is more along the lines of what I'm looking to do (w/o the 6al box) depends on how much it costs though.....I think if it's too much I will check inot a new (not rebuilt) stock HEI, maybe a delco one or something....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MSD shows part #8515, chevy six 250-292

$314.50 on their site....:eek::eek::eek: + it says must be used w/ a msd ignition controller.....

edit:
stopped by the local speed shop today $279.00 for the msd, $135.00 for the controller (like a 6al box but not as many uses, digital box)

brand new stock unit from speed shop (cardone brand) $179.00

just incase anyone was interested....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts