Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an exhaust manifold off of a 292 6cyl which I think is stock. I wanted to put it on my mildly modified194 6 cyl so I could have 2 1/2" exhaust all the way. Turns out this manifold does not have a heat riser, so the exhaust is blasting on my intake manifold/carburetor all the time. Is this the stock setup for the 292? I wonder if this constant heat is gonna be OK for my stock Rochester BC single barrel carb? Will that cause any problems with tuning it or getting it to run right for the long run? Thanks to anybody who has some of these answers!
Mike

·
6,670 Posts
I just got done fixing an exhaust leak on my 68 with the 230 motor and in the gasket kit there was a block off gasket for when used with LPG instead of a gas carb. I wonder if this would work ?.

This was the underside of the intake manifold where the hot gasses got directed to and then out the exhaust pipe:

I had never taken my intake and exhaust apart and two studs needed to be replaced and instead of going with the same size and adding helicoils, I went to the next size bolt.

1968 Chevy II Nova 230 Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket Replacement

JIm

·
Registered
731 Posts
It would be better to block it off. The stock 292 in my neighbor's truck has a heater riser, if that helps. Hopefully your in a warm climate where a heat riser isn't really needed.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,113 Posts
I have a Question : Is your 292 exhaust manifold . . . . . a 2-bolt ; or a 3 bolt where the "exhaust pipe"
connects . . . . ?

Most - - 292 exhaust are 3-bolt types . If you are worried about that "Heat - Riser" ....................
You could consider adding one of these :

Shop Nova Parts & More | GM Classics

just , thinking = out loud . . . .

jim

note :
I have a 'complete 292 engine - - - (from ; carb to oil pan . . . . & . . . . from water pump to
.......... rear bellhousing .

........... but , my exhaust manifold (at the header pipe connection) . . . . has 2 bolts . ( I'm thinking) ,
........... it's from a 250 engine .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts