Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I want your opinions on this.I have a 64 nova stationwagon that i'm working on and i'm trying to decide between the 6 or do i go sbc.I have a 250 bored 30 over with flattop pistons,comp hyd cam,head has been done with a 3 angle valve job, hei ignition,no intake ,exhaust or carb....Do i build this or do i put together a smallblock for the car......If i use the 6 i will run a 4 speed with 3.36 rear gears....if i run the smallblock it will be 350 turbo with 3.36 rear gears.......what do you guys think?.....:turn:

· Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Lots of owners have a small block v8.

There are many things you can do to the L6 that will make it look nice and go fast. I vote "inline."

In either case, I would use the automatic transmission.

· Registered
508 Posts
I vote for the inline, especially since you already have what sounds like a very decent motor and the 4-speed is more fun. For what you are doing, an Offy intake and Stovebolt Engine Co. headers should be perfect.

· Registered
614 Posts
Im replacing my L6 but if i were you i would put the L6 in your car there are some nice turbo kits for those if you want real speed but you definetly have to use the 4 speed way more fun than an automatic:D:D thats just my two cents though.:D:D

· Registered
933 Posts
got inline6 l got turbo 250 muahahaha join the 6er side dude!!!
good thinks come in sixes, 6-pack a beer 250 stright 6 umm..ahh 6-pack of m80 firecrackers:D

· Registered
291 Posts
I'm surprised more didn't say V8 yet. It sounds like you have a good start on a strong six already. It will be cool in a wagon. You could get the Offenhauser manifold for 3 one barrels and go for a nostalgia look:cool: With the stick you don't have to worry about kickdown linkage stuff.

· Premium Member
4,373 Posts
I think it depends on your power goals. If you are looking for 275 HP or less, stay with the 6 cylinder. Put a 5 speed overdrive behind it and get decent gas mileage. T-5 are pretty easy to cobble together or get one of the T-45Rs that Keisler has. There are lots of fuel injection options for the 6 as well.

· Registered
2,109 Posts
well I say put in a V8. Lots of ways you can go. BUT I have to say my 250 in my 70 nova was awesome! got 25mpg and ran 17.90's at the strip. Since you have the 250 I guess go that route. Maybe clean up the chambers and smooth the exhuast port and use a 2bbl intake or a run a 4bbl intake with a 390 holley and a header.

I would put a turbo 350 with the 6cyl and put the 4 or a 5 speed with the small block.

· Premium Member
367 Posts
It sounds like you are well on your way with the inliner, that would get my vote. And if you can swing a turbo down the road you will have a sweetheart of a drivetrain. Clifford Performance has all manner of inline parts to hop up and dress up the motor if that is the way you go. Good luck, and pics would be great as get her done.

Tiny

· Registered
1,996 Posts
Id say 6 with a stick, just because yesterday i had doubts with my 300 truck 6 until i got the timing set and dumped the clutch and layed rubber all the way down my driveway, before that it drove like a 4 cyl.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
I vote for the six cylinder. Everybody runs a V8 it seems. Plus you will get better gas milage out of a six. It has plenty of tourqe to get that wagon moving and there are various speed parts avaliable for them. Besides, it sounds like you already have the 250 basically ready to go, just add your intake, carburator and exhaust and you're done. I would run the automatic behind the six. I was going to run the 3 speed stick behind mine but figured it wouldn't be much fun in stop and go traffic in town or the city.

· Registered
69 Posts
I6
Pros= Different, produce good torque.
Cons= Harder to find performance parts. Performance parts can be very costly.

Pros= can build a good mild street motor for fairly cheap. Easy to find performance parts New and used.
Cons=Its expected when you pop the hood.

I was in the same boat. I wanted to build a turbo I6. After researching prices on the build it would have cost more then the 350 i just built. I built a 5.7 350 full roller motor that is estimated 375-400 horse and easy 400 tq for 1800 dollars. I feel that the best money for power would be a small block.
But a turbo I6 is awesome in my book!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.