Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/Cylinder_Heads/Vortec.html

Please Note: The casting number myth debunked:
The myth is that there is a difference in the head performance produced by these two castings.This myth was started by some Magazines that didn't do their homework before publishing their articles. This is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So sayith the Grand Wizard GM and his Apprentice Wizard Sallee Chevrolet.
10239906 casting has one large single hump.
12558062 casting has 3 small humps.
If either of these two castings have not been altered by GM and the part number changed from 12558060 or altered by someone else (previous owner, etc.), the heads produced by either casting will be identical except for the external cosmetic difference. Both castings are used to make the 12558060 Vortec heads which are the true unaltered Vortec heads.
Heads from both castings come out of their cast IDENTICAL except for the minor cosmetic external differences!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
Just a quick note on this. I have had both castings and you are correct if the heads came new. The problem I had was I bought used 906 castings. The car did not perform up to the level expected, 12.8 best 1/4. After finding this info out I bought a new set. I compared the exhausts and they are a different style of seat. The 906 had a flat top to exhaust seat and the new castings have the 15* top cut. I am happy after the change and pulled a full second off the ET, only other change was a 650 Demon.

67 Nova
327, Vortec
11.78,115mph

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
This ought to be in engine forum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
And here is where I'm confused.

I thought vortecs were vortecs were vortecs...but I was told my a professional head porter (FWIW) that if you were going to invest in a set of Vortecs do not buy used factory ones, to buy the ones from GMPP (SDPC or somewhere similar) due to differences in the castings and the seats.

so I wanted a budget build and was gonna buy used, but want the most hp/$$ so it makes more sense to buy new from SDPC

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
basketcase said:
And here is where I'm confused.

I thought vortecs were vortecs were vortecs...but I was told my a professional head porter (FWIW) that if you were going to invest in a set of Vortecs do not buy used factory ones, to buy the ones from GMPP (SDPC or somewhere similar) due to differences in the castings and the seats.

so I wanted a budget build and was gonna buy used, but want the most hp/$$ so it makes more sense to buy new from SDPC

Thoughts?
I'm running the SDPC prepped 062 heads.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
258 Posts
DriveWFO said:
I'm running the SDPC prepped 062 heads.

Well natural gas has essentially doubled here this last month, but I got a lead on a set of SDPC heads with intake...so depending on how $$ works out, I might pick them up and set them aside.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That's good info. I didn't know about the Inconel single angle seats on the 906 casting and the 3 angle grind on the 062.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Shaggy, thanks for posting that link. There's some really great information in there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts