Chevy Nova Forum banner

5.3 truck engine??

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  sevenzeronova 
#1 ·
I have recently had a friend call with a pair on 5.3 ls based truck engines at his shop he just pulled from avalanche trucks.
He will give me the engines:thumbup:, and are complete with harness accesories and all. Truck were rear end totaled,trans are gone already:(
Anyone have a list with cost for parts needed for a swap ?
How much power is attainable with no adders?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
The fuel tank/fuel pump is the greatest expense. Depending on if you choose to go with an in tank pump ($900.00 and up) or an exterior pump($250.00) Then you get to decide whether you want to modify your harness, pay someone to do it, or buy new.
I will make a stainless tank, and was looking at the weld in setup that a member has just made for first gens,and make it work.
Wiring looks pretty straight foward, and should not be a problem for me to do.

Motor mounts, oil pan?? What else is must have?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well,,, there's this and that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230621096035?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230648950700?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
Might be easier to just buy motor mounts for an LS style engine. Also get feedback on whether this oil pan will work for your application.
Thanks for the links! I would get ls mount kit I think, trying get a ball park figure for cost of what is needed. 1k ,2k?
List I can think of:
Engine mounts
Oil pan kit
Intake? Will the truck fit?
AL Radiator
Headers
ECM reprogram
Retro pump kit
Tank (sheetmetal)
Am I missing something?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Well went and looked at the engines, the oil on the dip sticks look like muddy glitter:eek: and high mileage from what I gather looking at them. Like always, sounded to good to be ,well ya know, good. I think I'm gonna pass on them.:mad: don't want 2 big door stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.