Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting in class and a friend happens to be looking at this ad and I happen to look at it just before he changes the page...lucky find I think lol?? The guy gave me a call back and said it was in a delivery van with 275k miles. Don't know if it was stop and go, or if it was mostly highway. Stupid me, didn't ask if it still ran or if he knew what the oil pressure was before being pulled. I already talked to my machine shop and he said it's not a bad deal considering the computer, accessories, MAF, and new throttle body are included. But I wanted to know what some of you guys thought? I know the LS engines are probably the strongest motor manufactured to date, as long as it's maintained properly, whether it be conservative or aggressive/racing. I will be meeting the guy in a couple hours, so maybe I can get some opinions before then? Here is the craigslist link http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/3534479702.html

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, it's either a 2000 or 2005 assembly. I just looked on prodemand and in 2000 chevy did not have a van with an LM7 engine code, but they did in 2005. On the phone the guy mentioned both years but I don't remember which one was significant, but I will find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It needs rebuilding though, I would pass on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do all the assembling myself. i have all the machining necessary done at the shop.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even with a rebuild, thats not a bad price in my neck of the woods. Even on ebay, they are going for 850.00 on up for 5.3 take outs with pcm and harness.
the shop said if (for example) I were to bring the engine in to them, not cleaned, just pulled and transported that it'd probably be around $700, includeds any boring, honing, decking, and assembly. Parts are on me.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
i do all the assembling myself. i have all the machining necessary done at the shop.
That's not a bad deal then.

I've been looking up here and have found a couple 2WD trucks with 5.3's for around $1500, machine work is pricey for me.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I would pass if it needs a rebuild. Even if you spend 1k on a lower mileage unit you are thousands ahead once you rebuild this one. Think about all the parts you will need and rebuild costs. A gasket kit and head bolts will probably run you 400 alone! LS head bolts are not re-useable iirc

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I got my 2005 LQ4 that looks just like yours for $450 that need rebuild. Great value for $500.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I would pass if it needs a rebuild. Even if you spend 1k on a lower mileage unit you are thousands ahead once you rebuild this one. Think about all the parts you will need and rebuild costs. A gasket kit and head bolts will probably run you 400 alone! LS head bolts are not re-useable iirc
Spend 400.00 on ARP head,rod and main bolts for extra security:yes: then you are safe to spin that thing past 6500 RPMS

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The gen 3&4 GM motors are very well built. I bet that motor still has 150+# compression and 30+# oil pressure.
I'm picking up the motor today. The guy didn't know what the oil pressure was or the compression, but he's gonna ask his brother for more info. There's no visible leaks, all new accessories, new MAF, new throttle body and intake. He also said that it was all highway, between Bellingham to Seattle daily, that's like 40k miles every year. It started running weird and be thought the computer just couldn't keep up with it anymore, like maybe the cam lobes are just so worn down that its not getting enough vacuum, intake, or exhaust, or even enough built up back pressure. I'm thinking new bearings throughout, springs, rings, cam, gaskets, and a set of ARP head bolts and that's hoping for the best.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought a 6.0 lq4 today with 130k. Heard it run, startup cold no piston slap and 40 psi iol. 900 bux.
I wish I could even find an lq4 around here. There's no wrecking yards even within 100 miles of me and don't have the time to go and look for a motor and pull it out of a truck/car IF they would even have what I wanted, but if it's already out and and 30 minutes away then I can do it. Right now an LM7 would be perfect for low budget, even when considering a rebuild. I can still stay under $1000 easily. The new AC compressor alone is more than $400 new, and the power steering pump is new too, I won't need either of those. If I need an AC compressor down the road then I can find a good used one for much cheaper. I'm still waiting to hear if the old owner knew what his oil pressure and compression was.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Toooo many miles for that price. :eek: If you're patient, you can get something with around 100k for about the same price, including all the extras. Just a matter of frequent looking and timing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally checked the casting numbers. Turns out I have a 6.0 and as far as I can tell from looking in the plug hole, I have dished pistons, which makes it an LQ4. Aside from an LS2, an LQ4/LQ9 was my second option! Got a much better deal than I thought! Still have to look at all the other numbers because the previous owner stated that it didn't have the matching PCM, intake, throttle body (OEM would be DBW, and it has DBC). I'm excited to tear it down to inspect the internals, hoping the wear is a minimum considering the high miles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts