Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it's OK to make this thread and then update as it goes on. I thought I'd put up some pictures of my swap as it progresses. Maybe it will give other guys some ideas, and generate some feedback as I move forward.

This is the tank as it came from the factory (not my tank obviously)

This is after the modification

I cut a hole where the vent line goes into the back. There is a round pocket type deal inside the tank that had to be removed also. I let the protrusions on the top of the tank be my guide. I also removed the pickup tube from the sender assembly. I was very eager to reuse the sender. I wasn't completely happy with the aftermarket piece in my Camaro.

I had a plate soldered in at a radiator shop and the filled the hole from the sender too. Now I have flat platform for the Tanks inc pump assemble currently in route to me.

I plan to use a vent with a roll over valve from Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts, and then I'll have a pressure and return from the assembly too. The plan is to modify the injector rail and dead head it. I'll use the Corvette filter/regulator close to the tank to maintain steady pressure.

More pictures as I progress.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice work! Now how about some pics of the Nova?:yes:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice work! Now how about some pics of the Nova?:yes:

That's the way it came home. No engine the trans was out. Pretty solid car. I bought it from a member here, he was up front about everything. I hope to have it on the road this summer, but it's all going to depend on how the funds go. The motor and trans will be set and all the logistics set for sure.

The harness and ECM goes out to the wiring guy this week too.

BTW, if anyone local (West Phoenix valley) wants/needs a set of small block headers I'll hook them up. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tank Pump

I thought about that for my tank, but decided against it because of budget. I bought the walpro 255 inline pump and have no regrets. No problem with gas even with the tank low. I have let it go down to 1/8 and still have no problems around corners. I had looked at some 5.3's but decided the LT1 was an easeir install and easier to work on the computer, good luck though. Where are you at in Phx?

·
Registered
268 Posts
what motor mounts are going to use? i tried street and performance motor mount plates they dont work for me, still try to find some that works , but right car is on hold, lost garage i was using , sweet ride:D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I thought about that for my tank, but decided against it because of budget. I bought the walpro 255 inline pump and have no regrets. No problem with gas even with the tank low. I have let it go down to 1/8 and still have no problems around corners. I had looked at some 5.3's but decided the LT1 was an easeir install and easier to work on the computer, good luck though. Where are you at in Phx?
I'm actually out side Phoenix, west of Surpise in Waddell. Olive and 181st Ave. I had a TPI in my Camaro. It was fun, but I didn't want to do it again. The TPI and the LT1 look cooler than the LSx stuff IMO. But I came up through a Chevy dealer in the Mid 80's so I'm bias. The 5.3 with the 460Le cost me under $1300. As long as they as advertised it's a steal for the 300+ HP it should give me. With all the parts out there today it's almost a drop in install. My go really fast days are long behind me.

Is that the PS reservoir on the passenger side? What trans did you run?

what motor mounts are going to use? i tried street and performance motor mount plates they dont work for me, still try to find some that works , but right car is on hold, lost garage i was using , sweet ride:D
I'm going with the trans-dapt plates. They have a good name with the second generation Camaro crowd. I know a few guys that have done that swap. Everything should translate over to the fourth generation Nova.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I still have the Turbo350, I bought a 200-4r out of a 305 Monte Carlo SS. Just need to have it rebuilt and I will slap it in. Less work than a 700r and just as reliable.

Good Choice. I've never liked the 1-2 gear spacing on the 700R4 (460Le). Like you said you can put all the money into them and they still won't hold up as well as the 200R4.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't get very far this weekend. This is the tank with the hole cut and drilled.

This is the pickup and tray after I fit it to the tank. Since the tank is sloped at the front it puts the pickup at an angle. I have it fit angled slightly off to the right side of the car to insure it will clear the sender.

This is the way they want to secure the tray to the frame. I don't think it will hold well enough. I'm not comfortable with it at all. I'm going to stop here and have it tacked in place Monday.

I'm also going to drill a hole in the front of the tray to aid filling it on acceleration. I'm pretty pleased with the fit in the tank. The pump is pretty well sitting where the old pickup would have been.

I did also clean the engine. There was a lot of grime form sitting.

I scored the Trans-Dapt 4572 plates from Amazon for $37 shipped. They will be here early next week so I feel a test fit of the engine for next weekend. I'm interested to see first hand how the truck pan fits. The best price I can find on the F-body pan with all the supporting pieces is $300. I'd like to keep that in the swap fund if at all possible.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang Ron, is that as close as it looks?:eek: I think I've seen that picture before, but it registers now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
there is only about inch beteen the pan and the floor, been looking at two pans, one is h-3 hummer 5.3 alpha pan and autokraft pan

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
there is only about inch beteen the pan and the floor, been looking at two pans, one is h-3 hummer 5.3 alpha pan and autokraft pan
A guy on a second generation Camaro site posted this picture of a F-body pan. It's supposed to be the way to go with the trans-dapt mount plates. Lot's of feedback about them.

The second Gen Camaros are so similar to the fourth gen Nova I've been using those swaps as a bit of a guide. MY guess is you've already seen this site, but here's a link anyway. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/817787-lsx-oil-pans.html It's a nice break down on the pans.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a great find today.

I pulled the intake off and decided to look under the valve covers. Not a good sight. I'm not sure if the rocker loosened up or if it was slammed on offset when it was assembled. The pan will come off this week to see if there is any other surprises.

This is what I saw:

Not a great picture, but you can kind of see the wear on top right and lower left of where it attaches to the strip.

And here you can see where it's supposed to sit is not square:

And the scraping of the push rod where it was rubbing on the head due to the twist:

The valve moves freely when I depress it manually. Everything else looks fine. What's another couple of parts between a man and his toy? :confused:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The motor is in. Disregard the service manuals wedged between the firewall and the engine to keep it level without the trans in place and the manifold being tossed on top, I laid it all up there to check hood clearance.

I'm pretty happy with the fitment:

That's the CTS oil pan I got from a friend of mine in Texas. Jake's Performance.. It hangs just below the crossmember. It looks to be about the same as a factory setup.

And I can't believe that the fan lined up like it did with the original fan shroud.

The only issue I have is the power steering pulley. It hits the steering gear box.

I'm trying to find out if GM used a smaller diameter pulley on anything. My guess is the shaft diameter is all the same, but maybe a different car used a slightly smaller pulley I can swap over to. If anyone has any ideas or information I'd sure like to hear it. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,028 Posts
Elongate the holes in the mounting bracket and move the pump inboard about 3/8". The tensioner should take up the slack without any problems.

The grill you have in that car is a really hard one to find as well as those clear park lamp lens. Most of the grills were not chromed and had orange lamps. The full chromed head lamp covers are another rare item.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This should be a nice sweet fun cruiser with some reliable power when you're done. Keep up the good work gives us all inspiration.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Elongate the holes in the mounting bracket and move the pump inboard about 3/8". The tensioner should take up the slack without any problems.

The grill you have in that car is a really hard one to find as well as those clear park lamp lens. Most of the grills were not chromed and had orange lamps. The full chromed head lamp covers are another rare item.
There is a bracket on the rear that I would have to remove for the elongated holes to work. I found a pulley (Dorman 300-201) is about a inch and a half smaller outside diameter and the inside is the same.

I had no idea that the grill and head lamp bezels were rare. I know the grill came out of a salvage yard but I assumed the bezels were repops.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts