Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what kind of fuel economy you guys are seeing with a 5.3/4l60 combos? I am thinking about putting that combo into a 62-65 4dr for a nice daily driver. I have seen people get in the mid 20s mpg and I am wondering how fast that drops off once you start messing with the engine. I would like to end up at 400-450 fwhp. Since I will be using a factory front end, I will definitely use headers which should pick up some power right away. Do any of you have any good parts combos for that hp range that dont get completely terrible fuel milage? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Assuming you are keeping the 5.3 injected, you are a cam swap away from your power and mileage goals. As always, the mileage depends greatly on your driving habits (can you really keep your foot off of 400+HP? :devil:)

Keep in mind that a stock front end and headers is expensive. The best option out there is CBR. http://www.churchboysracing.com/62-67-chevyiinova-lsx-mid-length-swap-headers/

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was wondering what kind of fuel economy you guys are seeing with a 5.3/4l60 combos? I am thinking about putting that combo into a 62-65 4dr for a nice daily driver. I have seen people get in the mid 20s mpg and I am wondering how fast that drops off once you start messing with the engine. I would like to end up at 400-450 fwhp. Since I will be using a factory front end, I will definitely use headers which should pick up some power right away. Do any of you have any good parts combos for that hp range that dont get completely terrible fuel milage? Thanks
I hope you meant flywheel hp, not front wheel?:D As long as you keep a highway gear installed, mid 20's is not that hard esecially with a manual. I have a 2002 LS1, headers, intake, 3.25 gear and before I had it tuned was getting 21-23 all day long. I have not checked after tune, but made 300 rwhp with auto which puts me very close to 400 at the flywheel.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I know that headers for an ls engine in the stock front end are expensive but not as much as a new front end. I plan on putting a cpp mini kit on the front as well since I seem to see them available used online from time to time. I'd love to go full cbr but it's just not in the budget.

For the rear I plan on eventually using an s10 rear which would have 3.42 gears. It sounds like I can meet my hp goals with headers, a mild cam swap, and maybe even a different factory intake, and also a tune. Does they sound right? For the record, I meant flywheel hp :) . Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
My full size 4x4 gets 14.7 in town and around 19 on the interstate with a 5.3 and auto trans. I think a light car and the right gearing over 25 should be easy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i know you have a different tranny, but i have a 5.3 carbureted (650 holly),t56, and a ford 9" and 3.90 gears, I average 19-23 mpg on the highway. motor is all stock.

·
Registered
523 Posts

My 2005 2wd extended cab pickup gets 16mpg around town, up to 23 freeway driving in overdrive and 12.5 pulling a 24' fifth wheel. I never use overdrive towing though. I added a Bully Dog system and my averages went up about 3mpg all around. Which the above figures reflect.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
My 08 silverado with DOD gets 14.2 around town and it is 2wd. I am always hearing everyone say they get 20 but can't see it MAYBE on the hwy but avg is no more than 14.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I plan on putting a cpp mini kit on the front as well since I seem to see them available used online from time to time. I'd love to go full cbr but it's just not in the budget.
You could go CBR lower control arm kit. This way you leave the door open for future upgrades.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5.3 L33 with a cam swap.
I get mid 20's in the '65 wagon (with a heavy foot)
What cam did you go with? Did you get a different converter as well?

You could go CBR lower control arm kit. This way you leave the door open for future upgrades.
Yea, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning that way. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts