Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to build my 5.3 when I have it rebuilt. Looking to get 400-450hp at the crank when it's done.

-Stock 862 heads with PAC 660 springs
-Trunion upgrade
-Hardened pushrods
-Stock Bottom end
-TSP 228/228 112 LSA cam
-Headers
-Holley Sniper EFI intake
-92mm TB

When I have it rebuilt, would it be worth getting a new set of pistons? Any recommendations for a new set thats worth the money? Since its a gen3 engine, would it be worth going to the gen4 rods?

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
You are going to be very hard pressed to pull that kind of power from those stock heads. If you are stuck with them, at least send them out for a good CNC port job from a reputable porter. The 862 is a good head for high port velocity on the small bore 5.3.

If you are going to stay under 500 hp with no power adder, there is no real advantage to going to the Gen IV rods, unless you take the flat top pistons with them to bump the compression ratio up.

If this is a street car, I would consider a different intake. While the Holley Sniper looks cool, its usable range is 2200-6800 and the short runner design pushes all the power to the top of the band, there are better intakes out there for less money. TBSS is one of them.

I would also consider having someone reputable spec you a custom grind cam that works with your total car combination. Price wise, it is within a few bucks of most off the shelf cams and would suit your needs better.

Or you could just get stupid like me and order a custom set of Tony Mamo built heads, Mamo Ported Fast 92 with custom cam and spend 3 times what it would cost to build a 6.0 ��

·
Registered
332 Posts
My son just refreshed a 130,000 mile L33 with new rings (hone), bearings, and a mild Crane cam (272/280)...added headers and LS6 intake.

398 CHP...340 to the wheels.

We mimic'd Hot Rod's build/test...our single 3 inch exhaust probably gave up the 10 or so HP they got on the engine dyno:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

We are incredibly impressed with our first attempt at an LS...long block was purchased for $1400 from a salvage yard.

Chart:

Smooth idle pulls 24 mpg on the highway...next iteration will be more compression/cam. Fun!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Whether to get new pistons or not is a decision based on condition and mileage on the pistons you have. Pistons and cylinder bores last amazingly well on LS engines.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I should have added our L33 was a 2007 model (supposedly better rods / floating piston pins) and 799 heads.

The machine shop asked why we even took it apart - it was an educational lesson for my 12 year old.

Back to the original post: we did go with new rocker arms, slightly longer pushrods, and appropriate valve springs. No trunion upgrade since a Corvette LS6 has the same redline and they survive just fine without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts