Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a SP383 435 HP & 445 TQ GM crate motor in my '70 Nova. It has a 770-cfm Holley carb. Is the existing 5/16" fuel line from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump large enough? Also what mechanical fuel pump would you recommend? Is a street pump with 7 PSI & 30 GPH enough? Just a street car, not going to the track... Thank You Bill

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would try the 5/16 line since it's already on there. I think a pump like you're describing would work fine. I had an edelbrock performer rpm pump on a 400ish hp sbc & it worked fine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It will most likely starve out at top end. There is a reason the factory used a 3/8 line on SHP options.
Only way you may get away with it is with a at the fuel tank pusher pump.

Keep in mind the G force involved during hard acceleration will force the fuel to the rear. Starving the forward mounted pump. Pumps like to push not pull.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank You Steve & Evan, Ok, so I do need the 3/8" line... Although I might try to get by with the 5/16" at first cuz of money.... Thanks again, Bill

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Try the 5/16" line what do you have to lose. As far as GPH of the pump, I would shoot for 80 gph.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I stuck with the 5/16" line. 355 with a 650 DP about 400HP. Went with a stock style mechanical fuel pump can't remember what brand but 7-8PSI - 80GPH IIRC. Never had an issue even at the track spinning it to 6200-6400RPM's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
3/8" for mild sbc or bbc. 7/16" or 1/2" for more radical (dual carbs, etc.). Most 140-150gph pumps say they're good up to 600hp. I always side on overkill so I never have worry/wonder if it's enough. I've burnt a piston, turned a rod sideways in the cylinder, etc. and my motto now is "Too much is almost enough". But I would go 3/8" at least.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You Everyone! If I go with the 3/8" line would you just get a reproduction steel or stainless steel line like Classic Industries sells? Or fabricate one using braided stainless steel? I'll look tomorrow but I wonder what size fitting is coming out of the gas tank...

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
11.70s in my last one with the 5/16" fuel line. This one runs faster and it has the 5/16" fuel line also. Both running a 110 gph mechanical pump.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Thank You Everyone! If I go with the 3/8" line would you just get a reproduction steel or stainless steel line like Classic Industries sells? Or fabricate one using braided stainless steel? I'll look tomorrow but I wonder what size fitting is coming out of the gas tank...
I redid my 3/8 line in stainless...if you have 5/16 line now then you have it at the tank as well. You will need to get another sending unit with a 3/8 line coming out. They put 3/8 line on 327/275 HP from the factory so maybe that will change your mind somewhat. Like said before...you never have to worry if you run atleast 3/8 line from the tank all the way to the pump. 80 GPH is a great pump for the street. Holley makes a nice one that will be perfect for you. No regulator is needed at 7.5PSI

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...umps/carbureted_mechanical_pumps/parts/12-834

Dave

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
11.70s in my last one with the 5/16" fuel line. This one runs faster and it has the 5/16" fuel line also. Both running a 110 gph mechanical pump.
I did have 5/16 with no problem either. I do now have 3/8 from the sender to the carb. Runs 10s all day. Holley blue pump...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts