Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellas,

Since our particular group of cars are substantially overlooked at car shows everywhere, even the Nationals, I tried to pay special attention to these cars at this year's Nova Nationals and to photograph them.

So, here is my report on the 73-79 class at the Nova Nationals. I included the 73-74 cars in this report, because like us they are often times treated as orphans and are not given any particular attention or praise.

This car was in the original (show car) class. The paperwork on the car indicated that it was an 8000 original mile car, with original paint, drivetrain, interior, etc. A true grandma's car, and one hell of a survivor:

This next car was a 1976 Cabriolet. Also an original low mileage car, it was a big hit with the restored/original guys at the show. The Indiana Chapter selected it as their Chapter pick of the show. Unfortunately I didn't get a great shot of the red interior of this car, which was fabulous.

This blue machine is a 1975 and was presented at the show by the club president, Wayne Bushey. Wayne bought the car for purposes of preservation because it belonged to a very important member of National Nostalgic Nova, Roger Higgenbotham. Roger has been with the club virtually since its inception, and has been a major contributor over the years. Unfortunately Roger has been striken with a debilitating disease that no longer allows him to enjoy the car, and it was Roger's wish that the car continue on. A truly touching (and sad) story but it is nice to know that the car will live on. . . .

My car next to Roger's:

This burgandy SS car was shown in modified class (I think) and it was a nicely maintained original-style car. It was a nice example of what we all envision 73-74 cars to be. Not an overdone show car, just a really nice all around car.

Here's a green Nova that I think was shown in semi-mod. Unfortunately I only got the one picture of it, but it was a pretty decent car:

These two 73/74 cars did not get judged, but I think both should have been. It would have been interesting to see how the judges would have viewed these cars, both were pretty nice.

Here's just a fun shot:

This blue car was show in street class, and his son had a 78 that was also in street class (sorry, I did not get a good picture of that one - it turned out blury). A VERY nice street-driven car.

And last, but hopefully not least, my 77. We just had a great time showing this car. There is a level of appreciation amongst Nova people that we just don't get at other car shows. I was really impressed with how knowledgeable people were about the 4th gens, and also how interested they were about every aspect of my build. Of course, there were several folks who had followed the build on this site, but others had never seen it before. It was really fun watching their reaction.

Here we are pulling in:

And some shots of it parked in the 73-79 class:

As far as the judging goes, we won our class (73-79 Super Mod), but in all fairness we had no competition (literally, we were the only car). We also one the People's Choice award for 73-79 show cars - we were truly honored to be picked by our peers for that award. We fell short of gold class, unfortunately, but that's a judge's decision that we can't control so we won't dwell on it.

All in all, a great show and a great time. The 4th Gens were a bit under-represented, so I encourage you guys, no, implore you guys, to bring your cars out to next year's Nationals in Gettysburg. Don't sweat the your car's condition, just bring it. We need numbers, and we need them bad.

Hope you guys enjoyed the report, and look forward to seeing you next year.

J

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Thanks for the pics, the white Concours is the way I'll be changing my Concours at some point. I'll keep the original Firethorn Red, I think it's an awesome color, the sides will be exactly like that white one though. The Grandpa wide side moulding has to go along with the all that silly brightwork. Changed to that more simpler look of the skinny moulding and simple Nova on the fender.

I honestly think these cars look better with some kind of moulding on the side, it breaks up the monotony and adds some lines.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics. I hope to get the '77 to paint this year and maybe engine/trans in the Spring for the Gettysburg show.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I guess the White one, in fact, isn't a Concours, just a Nova with a cabriolet top. Did not know that was possible.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
last year

Werent too many 4 th gens at G-burg last year, but more than what seems to have shown up out there.

I know mine will be there next year and this time I plan on attending the whole show not just 1 day.
And ALLT4- if you dont come Im gonna drive up and tow your car down anyway...with or without ya!!:devil::devil:

You missed meeting Bruce and the guys from Frederick last year, nice folks all!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Aww Mike, putting your car in a show is so much work for a complete anal like me.

I may be going back to Beaver Saturday if you're interested, try out some new meats. There's so many metaphors in that last sentence! :eek:

Maybe we can discuss it then.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Nice 73-79 nova pics, like the one of your engine and the reflection of the flames on the underside of the hood off the air cleaner, real cool looking.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Changed to that more simpler look of the skinny moulding and simple Nova on the fender.

I honestly think these cars look better with some kind of moulding on the side, it breaks up the monotony and adds some lines.
Me too. Notice how the strip is aligned to the top of the word Nova on that 76, on my 77 it is aligned with the bottom. I do not know if the differences are from plants or model years. I have also seen the narrow strip aligned to the center of the Nova.

BTW check the box you recieve carefully, there may be some extra parts in it :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
No extra parts Phillip, you OK, need some meds or something? :D

Let's see there was a piece of folded up tape and a silica baggie. What am I missing?

There's something screwey about the body side moulding on that Nova, it doesn't look like the others I've seen, probably aftermarket and installed differently than stock. Almost looks like it runs up hill from the back of the car to the front.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
FWIW, that desiccant bag looked mighty tasty, good thing I read that warning label on it.

Oh and Mike when I do remove my bright work from the sides of the Concours it's yours, I know you secretly admire it from a distance.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
There's something screwey about the body side moulding on that Nova, it doesn't look like the others I've seen, probably aftermarket and installed differently than stock. Almost looks like it runs up hill from the back of the car to the front.
The molding does seem a tad bit high compared to what I just pulled off mine. The front near the Nova emblem seems to be a tiny bit high and there's too much gap between the the top of the rear wheelwell opening and the molding.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have much to contribute in regards to the location of the trim on this car, because I have no idea where it's supposed to be, but I will point out one thing for your consideration - this car was shown as COMPLETELY original, meaning original drivetrain, original interior, and original paint.

Conversations with the owner would seem to support the conclusion that the trim has NEVER been off this car. It has never been repainted, and has not otherwise been restored. I know the judges at Nationals are VERY, VERY particular about cars shown as original cars - anything over 40% restoration on any part of the car will get you kicked out of the class.

Wayne and the guys at NNN highly value original cars, and will not put up with any monkey business when it comes to true originals. As they say, you can restore a car as many times as you like, but it's only original once. Although experts on 4th gen cars are pretty scarce, even at the Nationals, it would appear that the judges accepted the argument that this car was original in all important ways, which I assume also means location of the trim.

I don't have a dog in this discussion, but thought I'd throw that out there. The owner of this car took great pride in the car's originality - I'd be surprised if he had re-located this trim for any reason.

J

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Aww Mike, putting your car in a show is so much work for a complete anal like me.

I may be going back to Beaver Saturday if you're interested, try out some new meats. There's so many metaphors in that last sentence! :eek:

QUOTE]
Cant make Beaver Saturday but if it changes will email ya...

Oh and Mike when I do remove my bright work from the sides of the Concours it's yours, I know you secretly admire it from a distance.
Yeah all that chrome you old farts love.....:puke::puke: I just dont know what to do with you and Philip any more......
Hah! My new wheels are blacked out in the center now too!!!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope you guys aren't all just talking out of school about going to Gettysburgh next year!

It would be SO COOL to have that many 4th Gens in one spot. The old school crowd at the Nationals wouldn't know what to do with all us "disco novas" crashing the party. I think the most I've ever seen at any one Nationals was like five.

Might make for a pretty good photo-op :yes:

J

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I hope you guys aren't all just talking out of school about going to Gettysburgh next year!

It would be SO COOL to have that many 4th Gens in one spot. The old school crowd at the Nationals wouldn't know what to do with all us "disco novas" crashing the party. I think the most I've ever seen at any one Nationals was like five.

Might make for a pretty good photo-op :yes:

J
Count me in, I'm probably going to join NNN as long as they don't make me put a sticker in my window. I'll have my license in time too so make it six Novas.

PS: ALLT4 if you dont want that trim, send it to me lol I'd take it off your hands anytime! :D

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
08 Nats had 6
mikeorwan (Mike) 1975 Super modified Street Machine
4GOTTEN1 (Russ) 1978 SS Clone
flamin nova ( Dennis) 1976 Prostreet
Pronova (Me) 1976 Prostreet
Courtney Johnson's Wifes 77 Concourse
A 75 SS (A Real SS) in process, Prostreet with killer Big Block and blower
Also 2 visiters in 4th gens who just stopped to look
I agree with Perple76,If we get a big number of 4th gens there maybe we can get respect
I know Russ and I will be there in 2010, and I think Dennis too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts