Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I would love to see and here about all yalls 4th generation projects. This includes Projects, Race cars/Drag cars, Finished Cars, any 4th generation pictures or storys are welcome. Im sure the rest of the members would love to read stories and/or see pictures of your car.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
59 Posts
76 Nova Concours

This is a great idea for the 4th generation's to show off their cars. Well, I guess I'll start things out.

I factory ordered my Nova Concours in April 76, a 18 year old so excited that I drove past the dealership every day, checking to see if my Nova had arrived. When the big day came , there was a little problem.The driver's door had a bullet hole in it! Apparently when it was being transported on a rail car, somebody was shooting at the passing train cars and hit my Nova. The bullet hit the side beam inside the door skin and did not go all the way through, so the only damage was to the outer skin. The dealership asked if I wanted to re-order or to have the hole repaired. I had it fixed and still have the Nova today. Some unique features of my Nova :
- Nova Concours 2 door coupe
( less than 7 % of Nova's produced were Concours)
- Cabriolet roof
( less than 5% had Cabriolet roofs)
- Factory buckets
- Factory console + guages
( less than 1% had console guages)
- posi-trac, 2.73 gear ratio

Seeing as Concours was a "luxury" Nova, most cars were produced with a bench seat and column shifter.

Here's a link to some pictures of my Nova
http://rides.webshots.com/album/234721307EcJIGf

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stovebolt
I re-posted a link to web-shots for my pic's. Let me know if if it is accessable now.
Don

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
It probably will if you link the community version. You currently have your private one.

Dan (waiting to see your car) ;)

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Here are some pics of my 77 --> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ray_mcavoy/album?.dir=7124

After I finished the restoration of my 74 Nova, I started looking around for another Nova that would be suitable for a daily driver. My searching turned up quite a few rust buckets as well as a few high $$ completed restorations. Then I heard about this 77 that was for sale. I actually found out about it right here on Steve's site (back when it used to be the old style format). It was right here in Maine (only a few hours away) so I went to take a look at it one weekend. While I was there I also got to see the seller's 72 Nova SS restoration project.

Anyway, the 77 turned out to be pretty solid (and 3 parts cars were included with the deal) so I decided to buy it. That was a little over 4 years ago and I've been using it as a daily driver (except in the winter) while slowly working away at fixing it up. So far I've done the following:

-rebuilt the engine (original 305).
-put in a rebuilt TH350 (car originally had a metric 200).
-rebuilt the front suspension.
-replaced the rearend (old one had some bearings starting to go bad and make noise).
-repaired the rusty trunk floor (welded in a patch panel cut from one of the parts cars).
-stripped the old paint off and primed the front fenders, hood, and doors.
-swapped the warning light instrument cluster for a gauge cluster I bought off eBay.
-had the seats re-upholstered.

It was originally silver with firethorn interior (same color combo as Don's 76). I plan on putting it back to its original silver color when I get around to painting it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ray,Stovebolt, great looking cars.
It's nice to see pic's of 4th generations. I hope we can get more members cars posted so more people will see what we see in these cars. This was the last of the Nova's, lets keep them alive.
Don

·
Registered
37 Posts
78 9c1

http://public.fotki.com/9C1Nova/nova_9c1/

Here is a link to photos of my Nova. It is an original 9C1, originally purchased new in July 1978 by Los Angeles County. The Nova's first assignment was to the District Attorneys Office, and was equipped with a red light, siren, radio, and shotgun rack. This was an undercover car, and never a marked patrol vehicle. Originally the Nova was light metallic blue, and after it's tour was completed with the D.A., it was taken in as a County pool car, repainted white, and eventually assigned to the County Library Department, where it remained in service for over 20 years! Finally, the county bean counters caught up with it and decided it was time to send the Nova to auction where I bought it. From information by my L.A. County sources, I am fairly positive it is the last known 9C1 Nova Los Angeles County owned! After I bought the Nova at auction for well under $1000, I had the rear axles replaced, tuned it up and drove home to Maine from L.A. with no problems except for having to replace a tired old battery and some wipers. The Nova will be restored to as it was when in service with the D.A.'s Office.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Kyle
Your 2nd link is not working also.
Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kyle
That's great that you are going to restore your Nova. I like that they left the spotlight still on your car. All you need now is the red light for the top. I don't imagine there are many 9C1's left anymore.
Don

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I don't own one anymore, but just to say it was my first ever car. A bright yellow 76 with a 305. Loved that car. Put some big ol' 50's on the rear, a new 4 bl carb and a floor shifter and a fm radio with big house speakers in the back seat........................LOL gotta love the high school days.

R

·
0 Posts
How i got my 75 SS Nova, well it was xmas eve ever one was sleeping except my Mom and Step-Dad. They woke us up at 5:30 am to do xmas i was like wow .... well they pulled back the blinds and there it sat with all its glory
I was shocked and stunded.

This car was oringanly my moms before it was mine but she bought it from a guy. He had just blown up the engien so it was no use to him at the time she had another nova not a ss but a nova she traded her nova for his and he gave her some cash. Well he never paid the rest of the cash so now she had both cars ^_^!!!! The motor in my car came from a old chevy that was a race car used in the raceing style called "bump to pass" (you have to hit some one atleast once around the track ever lap) So i don't have the oringal motor but this thing is well SWEET ^_^

~Fin (The End)

·
Registered
105 Posts
how i got my 75

hi all. ive been on this site for awhile and ive wanted to post my own story for awhile but i didnt have pics. now i have pics. thanks stovebolt.

anyways, when i was 16 and just got my liscense i purchased a 75 4 door nova with a 350 that had one cracked head on one side of the engine and a blown head gasket on the other side. i bought it cuz it was cheap and all i could afford. i rebuilt it and it ran great and i was the envy of many fellow high school kids cuz my car was fast, although ugly. after being rebuilt, it had 2 diff head casting numbers, a summit [email protected] cam, performer intake, carter afb 600 cfm carb, headers, accel supercoil and dual 2.5" glasspacks. to this day, ive still not had a car YET that provided me with the unforgettable memories that i made in that car. but time waits for nobody and eventually that car got older and worn out and i buckled to the rising gas prices and purchased a 6 cyl car to replace it. the guy who bought it did so only for the engine and i knew, while i was watching that car being loaded onto a flatbed, a chapter of my life had been completed.
years passed and although i had a couple hot rods during that time none "grabbed" me like that first nova.
then, in november of '04, out of the blue, i bidded on a 2 door LN on ebay and won the car. i went to pick it up 3 days later. i talked to the guy on the phone and since this was my first ebay purchase, i got a walk through on how the transaction would go. basically, i said id be paying with cash and driving it home. he(chuck p.)said the car would be waiting. after 6 hours of driving one way i finally arrived at the address i was given only to not see the car anywhere in sight. right away i was nervous, thinking i was about to be mugged for the money i had on me. so i rang the doorbell and chuck hit the button for his garage door opener.
this is strange to have an epiphony about a car, but thats exactly what it was. AS the garage door opened i, for the first time in person, laid eyes on the most pristine, beautifully restored nova i've ever seen. im telling you it looked like the guys at OVERHAULING had finished the car just a few minutes before. it was brown, which i am not normally a fan of. but this car "grabbed" me. although it was totally restored to almost stock, i didnt see it for what it was. i seen it for what IT WOULD BE. chuck provided me with receipts for everything he had done to it, and the only deviations from stock was the wide tires and 4 brrl carb. since that day ive been methodically building a parts pile in my dining room with visions in my head of a stock appearing car with the heart of a racer. that heart will measure 400ci, have AFR 195 heads, 1 3/4" headers into 2.5" dual flowmasters, a racey 700r4, and 4.10 posi. there isnt a day that goes by now that i dont scheme for ways to get this car to completion in the quickest amount of time possible.
but before i can do that, i have to thin the stable of hot rods ive built up over the years. anyone looking for a 383 s truck or 78 malibu rolling chassis(donating its 400, alum rad and slapshifter) or g-body perf parts?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/novacovered.JPG
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/novaside.JPG
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/novadriveside.JPG
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/novaengine.JPG
http://www.frontiernet.net/~irishhills/novainterior.JPG

·
Registered
104 Posts
Original 76SS

Can't beleive I haven't posted in here yet, I have everywhere else. Been a member since last year. It was may of 2004. My dad had owned a 67SS for about 2 years. Saw it in the auto trader and flew from ONT to NB to get it. Bought it sight unseen and drove it home. Now this is a sweet car, red, 327, 4spd muncie (tight ratio) and 12 bolt posi. We were coming home from somewhere, I was pissed that day, and he took me for a boot. Driving home, saw a Blue 76SS that had been for sale in the hometown for 4 years. Never really knew what kinda muscle car I wanted, but I had crashed my truck a year before and was currently driving a 73 Super Beetle. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun car to drive, BUT, in the winter, with only a gas heater, and 165s on teh wheels, its not fun. We stopped in to look at the car. Its baby blue silver (like on corvettes, not sre of the colour). White vynl top and sat pretty nicely given its age. Seller was in the driveway and came to us right away. popped the hood, and I saw a clean 350 with headers. No leaks, etc. Said it was all original, painted once, and interior done once but too original specs. On the plus side he said they found the build sheet in the springs under the front seat and was with the car. Now I was loving this car, it sounded tight, it looked good, and was the same colour as my beetle (chicks dig it :cool: ). The key factor yet is that I had not looked inside the car. The owner got out (second owner in fact, I am the third, and the first was a woman who lived in North Carolina). I looked in the car and saw the stick shift! Unreal, an original 350 4spd novaSS to go along with the old mans 67ss. I bought the car before driving it, and got in ad loved every minute of it. Gas milage doesn't bother me, I just like to hear the whine of the gears and engine as I rocket around. Nothing beats owning one of these. PLEASE take alook at the pics and let me know your thoughts, if you need closer pics let me know :)

Pics avail soon!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sweet76SS
Your car looks great. I am glad to see that you left everything as origional and did not remove the factory console or the "Cabriolet Roof". That's what makes your car unique and one-of-a-kind. The padded roof was part of the era in the 70's,as was hood pins and rear window louvers of the muscle cars.
Don

·
Registered
272 Posts
One day I decided I needed a car and went to buy an auto trader. There I saw an ad for a 1976 2-Door Nova w/250 L6. Also came with a rebuildable 350 long block and a parts car with no motor. I went to see it the same day and bought it. It needed the transmission replaced, which I did the next day. Used the tranny from parts car. Its been along time now and I have done alot of work both inside and out, and I am barely finishing up body work. I do have a 350 sitting in it now.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts