Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 Nova, that came with a Lm7 5.3 and 4l60e, I’m new to this and never done a swap before I need to create a list of things and parts I need. So is there anyone who can help me come up of a list of parts for getting the engine and trans to sit in the car good. I would appreciate the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As someone who also recently started doing his first LS swap, I also had a bunch of question marks in my head for "what do I need". But, before you ask for help, there are things you need to decide first.

1. What is your skill level, NO BS? Can you weld? Can you machine things? Do you have access to a wide range of tools? Suggestions for "modifying" stock parts are minimized when we know that isn't the route you're trying to go, but many/most of us do to save money. Many will front that they're the next Chip Foose, but can't actually stick two metal plates to eachother in reality.
  2. Realistically, what is your actual, hard-number budget for the short-term goal of getting it in the car? $3k? $6k? How budget-minded you are effects our suggestions. If you're on a shoestring budget, then big-ticket items like expensive stainless headers can be replaced with some fabricated units from the OE manifolds.
  3. What accessories are you going to run? A/C? Power steering? This will help you decide if you want to use the factory truck accessories, or switch to F-body or Corvette, as it effects the setback of the motor mounts you use.
  4. What is your end goal for the car? Cruiser? Drag racing? Autocross? Daily driver? Most of us won't suggest yanking the goosebump-sized cam for a new one if all you want to do is drive it to and from the grocery store and work every day.
Appreciate your response bro, I fabricate and weld for a living so I’m able to do a lot of that, I want to daily drive it and I also don’t really have a budget I’m blessed enough to have a well paying job so I can buy expensive parts but I rather not go that route, but also not cheap. Now I have a lot of the truck accessories and I want power steering and AC for sure I didn’t even know that it would effect the motor mounts I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What front accessories and intake are you using? If all truck stuff then are you going to use AC? I used back plates from LSX Innovations AL11 and standard Nova mounts. I used the F body pan but I understand the Holley pan fits better. Mine fits fine but its tight to the crossmember. I used the factory tranny crossmember slid back to the rear set of holes and made a short plate to the mount. If you want to use AC then the low truck AC compressor requires that the frame be notched. I used all ICT Billet brackets with a Sanden compressor. I used Speed Engineering X Body swap stainless headers. They fit perfect. I used a PSI harness. Tanks PA4 pump inside my factory tank and a Corvette fuel filter/regulator. I have a spreadsheet with everything that I used in the swap.
Thanks for the response and Yea I have all truck accessories and intake. Thanks for giving me some type of idea on parts to look for I’m learning as I go and everything’s new for me luckily I have friends to help, and the internet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts