Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beforehand, I have done some searching already, but no luck =( I have a 4th gen (79) Nova that will be needing suspension upgrades/replacement due to it being sat in a field for quite sometime. What I was wondering is if there were any aftermarket front clips available for 4th gens? I have done some searching, but either 4th gens are not very popular, or they just don't realize how cool they are, because I can't find any 4th gen aftermarket clips anywhere. Has anyone had success with one, and if so, what did you go with? My Nova is mostly a street car, but will see track time every other weekend or so. Engine is not in it yet, as it is being built, so if I can get an aftermarket clip in there before I drop in my 383, that would be great. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wellcome to are world

4 gen parts are hard to find not to mutch suport in the aftermarket

you can find stock replacment stuff and you can barrow from the camarro

but most of all you just have to surch for your parts

i payed 500$ for and 76 ss grill to replace the one that was robed of my car

now thars a guy on her thats going to make them he makes are tail lights allso

good luck erik

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I went through this search about two years ago when I was planning out my 77 Pro Touring Project. The real answer is no, there is no bolt in aftermarket front clip for our cars.

General consensus is that our cars have basically the same front suspension pieces as the 70-81 Camaro, and there is some aftermarket support for those cars. That means we get tubular A-arms, coil-over shocks, poly mounts, big sway bars, air ride, big brakes, etc. The subframe itself, though, is not available at this time.

That doesn't mean you are SOL, though. There are lots of street-rod and racecar based companies that can make you a subframe for that car. It probably won't have the "factory" look and flavor, but will put you in a good position to take advantage of all that really cool aftermarket stuff out there, such as rack and pinion steering, big brakes, LS motors, etc. Truth is, if you go that route you'll probably end up with something lighter and stronger than the subframe that current exists for our cars.

As with most custom adaptations, though, the problem is time and money. You will need lots of both if you decide to go this route. Making a new subframe for our cars will require some specialized equipment and know-how, and that usually also requires a substatial budget (all of these are reasons why I decided not to pursue the front-clip idea).

If you decide that a new front clip is within your means, I'd try one of the shops that cater to racecars and/or street rods. Some of the larger companies that come to mind are Chris Alston Chassisworks, Fatman Fabrications, Jim Meier Racing Products, or maybe even Heidt's. You might even find a local racecar fabrication shop that could cook something up for you. Remember, all the subframe consists of is two bent rails connected by one, two, or more crossmembers. If you can provide some good dimensions there are shops that have the equipment to make it for you. Let your budget be your guide.

If you have any luck pursuing this, make sure to report back to the rest of us. Maybe if there's enough interest in doing this we can convince one of these companies to mass market the thing.

Good luck,

J

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
These are all great products I'm sure, but I was under the impression that the 4th gen Novas have a different subframe than the 68-74 cars. Am I mistaken in this belief?

Can someone clarify this question? If the 4th gen sub is different, then these aftermarket clips won't work on our cars without substantial modification to get the body mounts lined up correctly.

J

·
Registered
35 Posts
The picture I posted is for a second gen camaro. Detroit Speed just released it not to long ago. I was under the assumption the 2nd gen camaro and 4th gen nova frame was the same. I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think that the only difference between the camaro and nova subframes is that the camaro has an additional crossbrace ...in the picture you can see it in front of the steering rack.

Dan

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm thinking that those camaro and nova subframes are completely different, based on the fact that I tried to order big-block headers from Summit Racing for my '76 SS and they suggested to use the '71-'81 camaro part number for big-blocks and when I got them, there was no way the pass. side was fitting and the driver side almost fit but rubbed the top of the A-Arm. So I'm guessing there is some different dimensions going on there....

-Cort

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
One of you guys needs to buy one, remove your sub, and put this one in its place and report back to the rest of us. Who knows, it may fit with just some minor modifications.

For my part, I'll just stick with the sub I have until the aftermarket makes one specifically for our cars, then we'll see what the benefits are to switching.

Since the subrame is basically a cradle for the engine and a mount-point for suspension pieces, I guess I don't understand paying such a huge premium for a re-imagined subframe. The suspension pieces, yes, but the sub itself?

I guess someone would have to make a really good salespitch to me on that one, given the investment required. I totally understand it on the first generation Novas, because the stock front end on those cars is a mess, but not on the 4th gens like ours. I still think we have one of the best front steering/suspension setups around in terms of geometry and performance.

All the pro-touring Camaro guys are going to this now, but I have yet to hear one of them explain why. All the suspension goodies that come with these subs are also available to bolt to your stock sub, so I guess I'm missing the benefit (unless your sub is rusted beyond repair, that is) It seems like the only way to draw attention to your camaro these days is to out-spend all the other camaro guys on the block, maybe that's why they do it.

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts