Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 small block with an auto. I'd like to convert it to a manual, a Muncie would be easier but I'm thinking I'd like to go more modern like a Richmond 6 speed. Does anyone know what I can swap in to land the shifter in the factory location. I'd have no problem moving the engine forward or backward a few inches but it'd be nice to find a trans/shifter combination that would enable the use of that original 4spd center console.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 66 small block with an auto. I'd like to convert it to a manual, a Muncie would be easier but I'm thinking I'd like to go more modern like a Richmond 6 speed. Does anyone know what I can swap in to land the shifter in the factory location. I'd have no problem moving the engine forward or backward a few inches but it'd be nice to find a trans/shifter combination that would enable the use of that original 4spd center console.
For some ideas, Google search "chevy nova 6-speed conversion"
Looking at these links will show you where to look:

"www.hurst-drivelines.com/index.php?option=com...view..."

"www.classicchevy5speed.com/Camaro-Nova-6-speed-T56-Slect.aspx"

"www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104713"

Read the whole stevesnovasite post and then you'll probably decide on the 5-speed or 4-speed. The 6-speed is the most expensive and hardest install with tunnel space problems. The 5-speed is in the middle on cost and ease of installation. The T-10 4-speed is the cheapest and an easy install.

Don't forget or rule out using a 200R 4-speed automatic if you want a good overdrive that is overlooked but is an easy install using the same driveshaft you have already.

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are good links Gary! Lots of good information there - Thanks! So it looks like shifter location is not a huge obsticle with a T56 and the Black Jack shifter. Will a T56 fit inside the tunnel? You've indicated that this may be a problem. I seen them on the shop floor and they're not a small trans but they are readily available. I've no concerns about drive shaft length, thats a cheap problem considering the overall cost of the project, but I'm not ready to cut out or bash up my nice OEM floor/tunnel.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Those are good links Gary! Lots of good information there - Thanks! So it looks like shifter location is not a huge obsticle with a T56 and the Black Jack shifter. Will a T56 fit inside the tunnel? You've indicated that this may be a problem. I seen them on the shop floor and they're not a small trans but they are readily available. I've no concerns about drive shaft length, thats a cheap problem considering the overall cost of the project, but I'm not ready to cut out or bash up my nice OEM floor/tunnel.
I may be wrong on the 1966 tunnel space but I do know that guys with 1968-72 Novas have had problems with the 6-speed T-56, though they could be modified to fit.

I'll try to find out more about your 1966 fitting a 6-speed.

Today on Thursday, October 21. I think the complete Hurst kit with the Black Jack shifter, tunnel patch kit, new cross member and all new subframe body bushings will work.

Also be sure to read the Hurst Tech Notes and the testimonials.

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts