Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a 4l80e in there 68-74 novas thinking of doing a 4l80 with the new 632bbc I’m building. Curious if trans tunnel needs to be modified or if it fits without lots of fabrication. Let me know! Pics would be great to see too!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Generally if th400 fits then a 4l80 will fit. Crossmember needs to be moved or modified as mount is about 3.5" further back.
Use 90* banjo style fittings for the cooler lines. You may get away with a few tweaks with a bfh.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Anyone running a 4l80e in there 68-74 novas thinking of doing a 4l80 with the new 632bbc I’m building. Curious if trans tunnel needs to be modified or if it fits without lots of fabrication. Let me know! Pics would be great to see too!
I’ve got a rosseler 4l80e with circle d lock up converter in my 66. That trans is bad to the bone. One of the best parts of the car.
It’s big and heavy. Basically a 400 with od. I’ve got a glide with gear vendors in my 72 so I can’t comment on trans tunnel in the third gens. Don’t think it needs modifying

Good luck ?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I’ve got a rosseler 4l80e with circle d lock up converter in my 66. That trans is bad to the bone. One of the best parts of the car.
It’s big and heavy. Basically a 400 with od. I’ve got a glide with gear vendors in my 72 so I can’t comment on trans tunnel in the third gens. Don’t think it needs modifying

Good luck ?
Did you have to modify your trans tunnel? Looking into swapping a newer LS in mine and looking to see what it will take to fit a 4l80 into my first gen.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did you have to modify your trans tunnel? Looking into swapping a newer LS in mine and looking to see what it will take to fit a 4l80 into my first gen.

I had to modify mine in my 66. If you look a couple pages into my build , I have some pictures on what and how I did it. The banjo 4l80e cooling fittings help a lot for clearance. Keep in mind driveshaft pinion angle. I made sure I had enough room to go up or down so I could get the angle. I think it also depends on what front clip is on the car. Some motor mounts make the engine sit further back towards firewall I believe.

As for in the 3rd gen novas, I don't research them much but from what I have seen, not much modification is needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts