Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everybody using for trans dipstick on CBR location? Chuck had said the GTO was perfect for his 64 others have said it hits the tunnel on 2nd gens.Are 700r4 and 4l60e tubes bent different?I know the upper mounting tab is in a different location on SBC vs LSx.If the GTO bolts to the outer most head bolt hole i will need to change things anyway.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Ah you're gonna hate me but I found one that was perfect for the 1st & 2nd gens but I can't remember the part number or find the receipt from the Chevy dealer. :eek: It comes out from behind the block, about where the head and intake meet. Then it has a slight bend towards the right headlight. I do remember that it was a stock GM piece.

I do know that the 700R4 and the 4L60e are the same.

This may not be that helpfull but at least you know there's something out there.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I'm using a 2004 GTO dip stick on the 64 wagon and on the 67 hardtop and the dip sti k tube actually fits nicer on the 67. I had to modify the mounting tab a little but that was easy.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On Denise's wagon with a 700r we had no fitment issues.It was designed for a SBC so we tapped the unused bell housing bolt hole and bolted it that way with no mods.Access to this area was good in carb'd form.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yeah I have lokar for trans and engine. Your right it can be hard to add fluid.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts are if your on a long road trip:yes: and have issues it would be a PIA to deal with,a stock type tube could be delt with at any service facility.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My thoughts are if your on a long road trip:yes: and have issues it would be a PIA to deal with,a stock type tube could be delt with at any service facility.
Yep the inlet on the lokar is a bit small and I had to use a funnel with a rag wrapped around it while a friend poured the fluid in. I used it because it was given to me it looked nice and I figured if I need to keep adding I have bigger problems then fighting filling it

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Yep the inlet on the lokar is a bit small and I had to use a funnel with a rag wrapped around it while a friend poured the fluid in. I used it because it was given to me it looked nice and I figured if I need to keep adding I have bigger problems then fighting filling it
they make a special funnel...I have one....no probems filling at all:no:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one I messed with on a customers car was a 3 inch piece of clear plastic tubing with a metal fitting on it that went into the top of the tube.Leaked,required an extra hand to support it while filling etc.Deal with this stuff as my profession and want things to be as easy as possible:D

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
In my wagon I used a truck dipstick, it comes out a little high, but with the stock truck intake it looks OK. My motor is farther forward than yours though. In Dereks wagon I used the GTO dipstick and it required a little reshaping of the tube to get it where it could be installed with the engine in place, I also had to cut down a bolt and slot the bolt hole in the tube so it could be bolted in. The GTO tube is much shorter and looks a little cleaner in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I also used the truck dipstick tube. Had to reshape it a little, but not bad. I wasn't pleased with the height. So I cut the tube and stick (same amounts) to tuck them in a little better.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Me either:eek: which bolt does the dip stick bolt into for the GTO? The one close to the deck or the one up by the valve cover?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts