Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to weigh cost options to mate a rebuilt 454 engine to either a 700R4 or 4 speed standard tranny. I’m kinda new at this but always love to hear both pro & con sides of member preferences.

I’m on a budget so I’m looking for a parts list & costs for a standard tranny and an automatic tranny.

I have a ‘64 400 series with 3 on the tree right now. I’ve been collecting parts and have the following ....
- 4 speed hurst competition shifter
- 4 speed Saginaw (nope not a Muncie)
- 9” Ford Posi rear end
Any comments or feed back would be appreciated:
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I do not think a Saginaw will hold up to the torque of even a stock 454- especially if you are abusing it a bit. Of course a Muncie would be best but I think a t10 would be much better than a Saginaw ( Others that know for sure can chime in.
Depending on what gears your 9" has I suggest going with the 700r4 if you are looking for any kind of fuel mileage and lower rpms on the highway.
With the 700r4 it would have to be built to withstand the torque as well.
If you are making any power then the 700r4 needs a full rebuild with good parts, a good converter, shifter, cross member, tranny cooler, a different drive shaft( one from a 79-81 Camaro works or have one built.)
All said and done I have probably a little over $2000 in to my 700r4 set up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestions acd65post. Kinda figured the Saginaw wouldn’t cut it.

From what I read and see at car shows , Muncie seems to dominate, T10’s are next in line and Saginaw’s are ok for 350’s.

My rear end is a Hiedts built 31 spline posi with 3.5 gears. 454 engine builder says pushing it’s pushing about 500 hp. What stall converter would you reccommend for this configuration.?

Also, anyone know of a thread showing fabrication of a 700r4 cross member. Import Duty & Tarriff make it expensive to purchase one so I’m told a good welder can fabricate one.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
So- if you are going with a 700r4 I would recommend asking around to find a good tranny builder who can do high performance builds. I did just that when I had mine built. When it came time for my converter I provided my cam profile, rear end gears, weight of car, intended use and a converter was ordered from that. The guy new his stuff and said he builds the 700r4s to handle upwards of 600 h.p.- If you engine is making 500 - where it is a big block my thought would be you have to also take in to consideration the torque that thing is making. Many guys purchase turn key setups from Bowtie overdrives.

There was thread on here where a guy used his stock cross member and cut it to make the offset needed. I ordered mine from Bowtie overdrives. If you do have one fabricated it is a good idea to have your exhaust there for mock up as things can get tight.

I think the main reasons guys use T10's are because Muncies are getting harder to find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts