Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a 454 2 bolt main and took it apart yesterday. It's .030 over with stock 236 heads. Here is what I found:

1.) It looks like the block ate a rod bolt. Do you think it is still usable? I'm not sure if it happened before or after the first rebuild. It kinda looks like it has been ground down a bit.

2.) Whoever rebuilt this engine put the rods/pistons in the wrong cylinders. I found 4 in the wrong place. Most of the rod bearings looked like this. What does this wear pattern indicate?

I almost forgot to mention, the crank bolt is completely stripped. Thanks for all of the help. (This is my first time uploading pix so pls be patient)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Normally a chunk missing in the bottom of the bore indicates that it broke a rod at some point. It's usually not a big deal. My Pontiac 400 for my 'Bird has a chunk much bigger than that missing. As long as there aren't any cracks around it, it's not into the water jacket, and the rings don't come down lower than the missing bore chunk, it's fine to use. As for the wear pattern on the rod bearings, that's detonation. Detonation beats the bearings, that's what you're looking at, a bearing beat all the way down to the copper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts