Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think?

hey iv been on here talking about stroking out my 454 block when i thought. since i dont race it why not make a tribute to a L-88 427 and do one! one of the coolest motors of all time. just make it a modern version with all the tricks of today maybe make it rev to like 6000 to 6500 rpms? think that will work with a two bolt block or will i need to upgrade? tell me your thoughts. oh and btw its a muncie m-21 with a 8.5 ten bolt 3.42 rear. thanks al.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
So you want to do the "Elvis Impersonator" L-88? Meaning it sort of looks like the real thing but it's not really the same? You could find a cast 396 crank to go in your 2 bolt block and paint the heads silver to make them look like aluminum.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Yea sure why not? be different. Use the 454 block doesn't matter if its 2 or 4 bolt its a street engine. Put the TRW replacement pistons for it and either try to find some period correct alum heads or use the GM perf alums or the Edelbrock alums. Get a 396 crank, the 7/16" rods, nice choppy cam or use the L-88 solid lifter grind, and dress her up with the correct intake, carb, valve covers, etc....it will look bitchin and like it was meant to be there!!!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'd rather have 500+" and put 396 emblems--who's going to know what bore and stroke your engine has besides you? These things never make any sense to me--we don't have X-ray vision--nobody will know, or care!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
427's

i've rode in many 427 vettes that would wind past 7500,,,, if i was gonna make a 427 tribute engine for the street , i think i'd do the 390 hp version. Even the L72 with 425 hp is a bruiser to get through traffic with a 4 speed. The ones i was lucky enough to get a chance to ride in would shake the car pretty bad trying to ease the car from a dead stop. Pulling out in 2nd seemed to be more smooth. But if controlling that kinda power through a 4 speed is what it takes to get your blood boiling , hey go for it.

some L88 videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJlBRGYSN8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9xpvaURUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDrqslFtRHU

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
A friend of mine built a 427 for his chevelle and he loves it! damn thing hauls the mail and blows the tires off at will. fun car to drive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey let me know what you guys think of this combo 427 with 10.5:1 compression brodix race right rectangular port heads with a air gap manifold. very high lift short duration cam with the 4-7 swap spinning to about 6000-6500 rpm. 2 1/8 headers 4 speed muncie with a ten bolt 3.42 rear with upgraded axles? 100% street car. making it look exactly like a L88. oh and what do you think for an oil pan. how well do the deep milodon oil pans fit? thanks al.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
we talked about this before. I would do it but not use an air gap if you want it to look "exactly" like an L-88 427. You can get the correct intake manifold for an L-88 and get the steel fuel line kit and the dropped base air cleaner and valve covers. PM camgrinder or maybe contact Harold Berkshire(sp?) the man from ultradyne to get the right solid lifter cam for your combo. P.S. the milodon pan will work fine for your engine.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i like the combo but would use brodix RR ovals..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not going for completely original looking. i wanna do a modern version of an L88. i do already have the valve covers and the air cleaner. and a few other odds and ends. i think ill stick to the oval port version of those heads. and what headers do you guys think i should use. i just went with the hooker super comp ones. how high of an rpm would you guys spin it with a 4 speed and 3.42 gears? oh by the way it is a two bolt block that ill put studs in. and the oil pan? that one has no problems even though it is like 9 1/2 inchs deep? i would think it would come close to the ground. thanks al.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
horsepower is great but torque is what gets you home!
I guess you're not a big believer in your signature.
Build it big with oval ports and you could run a 3.08 gear and utilize the torque. Then you wouldn't have to worry about spinning it to the moon, or studs or any other nonsense. The 4/7 is a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I'd rather have 500+" and put 396 emblems--who's going to know what bore and stroke your engine has besides you? These things never make any sense to me--we don't have X-ray vision--nobody will know, or care!
I like the way you roll, my 283 emblems work well with my 408.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Hey let me know what you guys think of this combo 427 with 10.5:1 compression brodix race right rectangular port heads with a air gap manifold. very high lift short duration cam with the 4-7 swap spinning to about 6000-6500 rpm. 2 1/8 headers 4 speed muncie with a ten bolt 3.42 rear with upgraded axles? 100% street car. making it look exactly like a L88. oh and what do you think for an oil pan. how well do the deep milodon oil pans fit? thanks al.
Need to make it run like an L88 but with 10.5 compression??

Specs:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/l88/l88engine.html

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
oh come on with the oval RR heads and the L88 2nd design cam that sucker would scream!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its kind of hard to explain. i only take the car to work everyone once in a blue moon and ill drive it to car shows. i already know what my car can run so racing doesnt intrest me. i want that wow when you open the hood. the whole L88 thing is about this (there are two ways to make and engine look. original or race look. i happen to like the original look more.). it wont be number matching but from a glance i want that oh man that looks like a ... just need ppls help when it comes to bbc i dont know to much.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
So, what size is this engine? Is it a resto or a racer? Must be a 396 right..that's what the sticker says.... It has to be a 396! Or maybe a 496?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
So, what size is this engine? Is it a resto or a racer? Must be a 396 right..that's what the sticker says.... It has to be a 396! Or maybe a 496?
If you had anything to do with is it's a 540ci :devil:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts