Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if anyone has pros or con's of running a 427 sbc? a shop in edmonton is advertising them.. thanks cranker

·
Registered
982 Posts
which shop?

i have yet to hear complaints about 427, and was often told to get one for my car, but im on the 350 bandwagon, cheap and numerous in supply.

·
Registered
982 Posts
ive heard good things of them, there are very few shops in that area, most are general machine shops, and similar industry.

the majority of our machine shops are in the north end of town and do alot of speedy jobs because the shops are so condensed and some dont have the greatest rap.

but from what ive heard, fe is a safe bet. just check out warranties as usual

·
Registered
328 Posts
SBC crankcase area was designed for a max area of stroke of 3.75" Anything over this you need a full pan rail kickout style pan. If not you can have windge control issues. Windage issues make for short bearing life.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm on board up to a 3.75 stroke, maybe the 3.80 that GMPP uses in the ZZ383 but from what I've read any more stroke in a stock style block requires a small base circle cam as well and those bring along problems too. bigger than 406CI and it seems like a raised cam location aftermarket block could solve problems but then money gets big and other block options like the LS or even a big block with aluminum parts starts looking better to me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm on board up to a 3.75 stroke, maybe the 3.80 that GMPP uses in the ZZ383 but from what I've read any more stroke in a stock style block requires a small base circle cam as well and those bring along problems too. bigger than 406CI and it seems like a raised cam location aftermarket block could solve problems but then money gets big and other block options like the LS or even a big block with aluminum parts starts looking better to me.
Any 427's I build I use a 3.875 X 4.185 using a Dart Little-M block and with the Callies crank with a 2 inch pin and Callies X rod you can use BBC cam journal with no problems. Also can use a standard stroker oil pan.

My most popular build is the 421 SBC 3.875 X 4.155 using the SHP block and a .420 lobe standard base circle cam, Callies Compstar 2.100 rods and I see appox. .048 cam to rod clearance.

Also .904 roller lifters are a must on these builds with the bigger body, bigger wheel and axel makes the more durable then any .842 roller lifter, I use .904 roller lifters in just about all my builds. Roller lifters hate small base circle cams

Here is a video of the Callies X rods

http://www.callies.com/connecting-rods/ultra-xd/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts