Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
What stroke and bore size would it take to build one of these 427 or 450 inch small blocks?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
are you talking with a factory block?

if so a 427 can be made with a 400 block bored .060" oversize with a 3.875" stroke...

I'm pretty sure you cannot make a 454 out of a factory small block....

Now if your talking aftermarket I believe most of them use a 4 stroke and then the correct bore to get the displacement they are looking for...

for example Mitchell Hardcore uses the following bore/stroke
427 = 4.125" bore x 4" stroke
454 = 4.250" bore x 4" stroke

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm pretty sure you cannot make a 454 out of a factory small block....
It's been done, but it's not a good idea. Someone built a 480 incher many years ago with a stock block that had major grinding performed!

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
bowtie0069 said:
It's been done, but it's not a good idea. Someone built a 480 incher many years ago with a stock block that had major grinding performed!
So, do you still have that block laying around? :D

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
shaffiroff has a 472 small block i think...it may be a tall deck small block though, so not really a "true" small block.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
.060 over that is a reach.:confused:
ya I know.....but theres a few members here that have had them in the past...PAW sells a kit for one two...that I believe is .060" over also...so I guess it can be done...

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
69NovaSS said:
ya I know.....but theres a few members here that have had them in the past...PAW sells a kit for one two...that I believe is .060" over also...so I guess it can be done...
Here is what I would do, not all 400s will accept a .060 overbore because of the quality control during casting. Let a good machinist do some preliminary checking before you have the boring bar drop through the block. Just be a little cautious;) And if you can look for a block with the "509" markings on it.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
Here is what I would do, not all 400s will accept a .060 overbore because of the quality control during casting. Let a good machinist do some preliminary checking before you have the boring bar drop through the block. Just be a little cautious;) And if you can look for a block with the "509" markings on it.

I fully agree.....sonic checking is a must in these types of projects:)

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I know this is an apples to oranges, but I have had a 100 over 427 for close to 20 years, with one re-ring and brngs. With no heating problems. Just curious as to why you want so many cubes from a SB?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DrDenny's 69 Rat said:
I know this is an apples to oranges, but I have had a 100 over 427 for close to 20 years, with one re-ring and brngs. With no heating problems. Just curious as to why you want so many cubes from a SB?
well I cant speak for anyone but myself but the reason I would build a 427 SBC is because it would fit in my SB based Nova much easier then a BB would, I've always liked the 427's no matter who made them, and it would be a little different to have all the 427 badges on the but when you pop the hood its a small block, mind you one with 427 cubic inches of displacement, but a small block none thel less...I think it is cool...but that is just my opinion...:cool: :)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
So, do you still have that block laying around?
Hey,
I'm way too cheap to spring for a crank that big! But then with all the low cost off shore stuff out there now..............Hmmmm.
I need to find a sonic checker to borrow, Vizard checked a few stock 400 junkyard blocks a few years ago and found some that had .200" walls after being bored out--but with my luck.......I had a .030 over 350 block that started pushing water in one cylinder; turned out the cylinder wall was about .060 thick--stuck a little pocket screwdriver right thru the cylinder!
I think I'm gonna need a new block, but I'm too cheap to buy a Dart. Anybody got a 400 block that will clean up at .040 over? CHEAP!?

N

·
0 Posts
If you put all the cost of getting a 400 block prepared , and then find the cylinders won't seal beacause it moves all over the place (deck , mains , cylinders )I would spend the money on the dart once, you will have a better engine and make more power . been there done that (700 HP range )

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I would spend the money on the dart once, you will have a better engine and make more power
I agree with what you're saying but I just can't get myself to let go of the money! I've been real lucky with low-buck stuff for a long time; I've never spent more than a few hundred on machine work on my blocks. I had a deal thru a magazine to get a Dart for $800 and still didn't do it! Now they're 2 1/2 times that; been kicking myself ever since.

·
Registered
362 Posts
N

·
0 Posts

thats a good deal , , as most of the engines like this nowadays you would be hard pressed to build it cheaper , and most are proven combinations that will give good bang for the buck .Frank

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reason why I asked the question is there could be a 3rd gen camaro in my future. I was wondering what the limitations on cubic inches would be for TPI or LT1 fule injection. I would love to put a 400 + inch small block in to a 92 z28. I woas wondering what fule injection system would support it and make good HP at the same time ( good = over 450) N/A of course.

Aaron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts