Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Holley's 4160 metering block conversion kit do anything more than allow you to tune the secondaries with replaceable jets? I'm trying to decide whether to purchase one of the metering kits or scrap the 4160 and go with a manual secondary DP.

I know folks say that there's more power to be had with the DP when compared to the VS Holleys, but can this gap be lessened (or removed) by doing the metering plate swap out using Holley's kit?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HLY-34-13S&FROM=MG

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0403_holley/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Personally I do not think there is any power inherent in this swap. the metering block change will cost something like $40 for the metering block plus you will need a new dual feed line +$20 = $60 plus jets if you are running one of the chrome ones as the distance between your fuel bowls increases as the block is thicker. The only thing it allows you to do is use screw in jets as opposed to metering plates. I did this and did not experience any improvement. I also installed the kit to allow for quick changes of the vac sec springs. Cost about another $20.

Out of frustration I bought a rebuildable 650 DP off of e-bay for about $125 and put in a $30 rebuilding kit. Set everything to stock settings and knocked nearly 4 tenths off of my ET. $155 for 4 tenths vs $80 for no improvement.

You be the judge.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Wow 4 tenths...now that's an improvement! I love my 650 DP. Bought it new when I was 17 and have really done nothing but a few rebuild kits over the years. I don't know if there is more there with a different carb, but I have been very happy with it.:) Of course nowadays I wouldn't put it on an everyday driver like I did back then.

Russ with the yellow Nova is going to swap his 750 VS with a 670 street advenger. I'll let you know what it does to his times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts