Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else check this out in last month's car craft? 4" stroke 5.85" rods pistons for a 3.25" stroke 5.0 Ford, all in a 350 block. just kind of thinking about this as an alternative to trying to find a decent affordable 400 block. I did some looking last night, and it appears that a 347 stroker piston will work with a 6" rod...can some engine gurus shed some light on the feasability of this?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Just be careful cutting the valve reliefs in the pistons.:yes: There might not be a lot of meat there to cut into.:eek:

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true...any thoughts in general on the performance of the setup with the 5.85 rods? how hard would something like this be to put together? i don't have the mag on me but peak torque numbers were up in the 430lbft range i believe. that's with 882 heads and a dual plane manifold.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Interesting use of Ford pistons to make this work. The article didn't mention the cost of machining the Chevy eyebrows unless Probe does this on that PN.

I'd be leery of grinding a stock block that much without the hard-fill. As long as it's going to be filled and you sonic checked the bores, I think you might as well go 4.060" for 414 cubic inches.

I like the flat torque curve. Over 400 ft/lbs from 2,500 up.

I think this is a project for someone that has inside access to a good machine shop or just buy the assembled short block already done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts