Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tossing around build in a 406 with vortec heads mostly because i have a set lying around. They have the .550 springs in them. My question to some of you out there is are you using these heads? And how well are they performing for you? I know I could go to better heads but with the budget and the overspending everywhere else on the nova I will probably have to use them any way. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I ended up having to sale the ls1 so hopefully this will make me happy.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Buddy built that type engine for his 87 C10, he has a small cam. But I can't belive the torque and milage he gets. he has a overdrive and 3.73 gear. truck is his hot rod. A true tire burner for sure. More cam like yours I believe the thing will be a killer!

The engine I sold to TomM (350ci Cast Vortec), I installed a .510 lift roller. It's a monster to here him tell it. He replaced a 3k mile 350/290, he is very happy with result.

For cast heads, and not breaking the bank. The Vortec's are king! (IMO)

Al

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Buddy built that type engine for his 87 C10, he has a small cam. But I can't belive the torque and milage he gets. he has a overdrive and 3.73 gear. truck is his hot rod. A true tire burner for sure. More cam like yours I believe the thing will be a killer!

The engine I sold to TomM (350ci Cast Vortec), I installed a .510 lift roller. It's a monster to here him tell it. He replaced a 3k mile 350/290, he is very happy with result.

For cast heads, and not breaking the bank. The Vortec's are king! (IMO)

Al
X10...........The thing is a beast, just wait until I get the 750 on there......:eek: This is my first set. From what I have seen, they are hard to beat. The motor has plenty of low end, and the mid range is strong. It absolutely scalds the 17's now.......use them, you won't be sorry, Vortec's are good heads....especially since you already have them......:yes:

T,

·
Registered
274 Posts
I built a pile of those as "crate" type engines. The 406 combo was this-

750 D.P. Holley
Performer RPM w/1" open spacer
Isky 274 mega hdy. flat tappet cam
Dish piston
mild bowl/short turn port stock 1/94/1.50 valves
1 3/4" header
440hp - 530tq

They run really good. I had a friend buy one from me and put it in a '74 Caprice wagon. Wood grain sides and all. We build a custom single exhaust system for it and it was relatively quiet. With the stock single track rear end it would get great mileage and run high 13's.
shawn

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stall

what stall would you recommend with that set up. 530 ft lbs sounds like a major tire shredder

Shawn

·
Registered
274 Posts
It depends on how much driving vs. racing you want to do. Gear plays a part, too. You could go as tight as 2500rpm but it won't be as fast as a 4000rpm. One in the 3000rpm area is usually a good comprimise. I'll have to check the dyno computer and see where that combo made peek tq. I do remember is having well over 400lbs at 2500rpm. Seems, if my memory is serving me right, peek tq was around 4400rpm, wiht peek power by 5600rpm? I'll have to double check that.
shawn

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
a buddy of mine his brother used those heads on a 383 with a hydro flat tap cam and that thing is a stump puller. made just at 500 lbs trq at 3000 rpm.. im thinking of doing the same combo for my 4x4 toy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts