Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 65 that I just picked up a 406 shortblock for. My 65 still has stock front suspension. I'm wondering if I can get a make/part number for an oilpan and a hi vol oil pump that will work with H-beam rods, a stock cast crank, should I go with a rear sump? any info appreciated.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Moroso and Miloden and others make rear sump pans for the first gens. You usually can buy a pan and pump/pickup kit from summit or jegs. Some are deeper than others so dont go too deep for ground clearance issues on a street car

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
you don't NEED to run a rear sump with a 400. You need to clearence the pump a little, and one of the rod nuts (don't remember which one)

I also had to dimple the middle of the pan out just a tad because the rod bolt was catching.

I also recommend tack welding the pick up tube to the pump.

just another option for you. If your car is going to be lowered at all, the rear sump pan won't last long. (ask me how I know):eek:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The front sump pump was designed for 3.25" strokes.
3.75" stroke and bulky H-beam rods require major grinding on the pump and bending of the pickup. I even built a special stroker clearance fixture for my lathe to mill front sump pumps. There's an oil galley that needs a screw in plug.
Last one I did before I left for Iraq, the amount needed to be removed was so severe it cut into the plug risking failure.

Others may disagree but I don't recommend it for anything larger than 3.5" stroke.
Read up on it in the Best of Archive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front sump pump was designed for 3.25" strokes.
3.75" stroke and bulky H-beam rods require major grinding on the pump and bending of the pickup. I even built a special stroker clearance fixture for my lathe to mill front sump pumps. There's an oil galley that needs a screw in plug.
Last one I did before I left for Iraq, the amount needed to be removed was so severe it cut into the plug risking failure.

Others may disagree but I don't recommend it for anything larger than 3.5" stroke.
Read up on it in the Best of Archive.
Thanks...Junior at [email protected]mmended one of thier pans which is a rear sump..I think I am going to go with that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts