Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it turns out that the 400 I am slowly building will have to be sleeved on one of the rear cylinders. My machinist is very experienced and trustworthy but I am unsure if this is a good idea. He seems to be confident that it will work just fine. The engine probably will not make more than 400 hp when I am done, depends on what I decide to do with it. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Do a search(web) and you'll find that 400's don't sleeve well :(
Personally I would steer clear unless you have a small fortune tied up in the block.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Surely not a good idea on a 400 as you will probably crack between the sleeve and the head bolt holes and the cylinder beside it will distort as well. And where the step is left at the bottom of the cylinder may crack down into the webbing of the all ready weak block.

If you run this block do a leak down at TDC as that may answer all your questions.

Here is a link http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387&highlight=sleeving+400+blocks

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've got 2 400 blocks sitting in my driveway because they need a sleeve, I just can't get my cheap *** to throw them in the trash!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts