Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently picked up a 400 sbc for a 64 nova that I picked up a few weeks ago. Im planning on hitting the 350-370 hp mark with close to if not more than 400 ft/lbs of torque, and was looking for some input. Id like to keep the bottom end completely stock and replace the heads with a set of vortecs and dual plane intake. will these plus a healthy cam and the stock 750 quad help me reach my goals or should I expect to spend more?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Just recently picked up a 400 sbc for a 64 nova that I picked up a few weeks ago. Im planning on hitting the 350-370 hp mark with close to if not more than 400 ft/lbs of torque, and was looking for some input. Id like to keep the bottom end completely stock and replace the heads with a set of vortecs and dual plane intake. will these plus a healthy cam and the stock 750 quad help me reach my goals or should I expect to spend more?
Yes they will work for you. A nice little cam(preferably a hyd. roller) around 480-500+ lift with around 230-235 duration @.050 plus a 3000 stall coverter if you are running an auto.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
As I recall my brother built a 400 very similar to yours...

Stock bottom end (0.030 over bore) w/ vortec heads and dual plane intake, don't remember what cam he used, flat tappet hid and don't recall which carb, but he was over 400ft/lbs torque...

Good luck on your build and keep used POSTed (for you Flyer:yes:)

Mark

·
Registered
185 Posts
keep in mind that the vortec heads in stock configuration limits them to about .450 lift as the retainers will hit the seals above this number. Depending on what your plans are, if youre gonna rebuild them or have further work done you might want to consider some other aftermarket options that will get you more bang for your buck. Car Craft just did an article in the Sep. issue on eight sets of heads under 1K that you might be interested in checking out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks like a good combo, do the vortecs if you have them, if you have to buy cores there are better bangs for the buck.
Should make a fun ride if you add some up grades to the car as well. At that power level I would tie the sub frames at least.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem if thats all the power your looking for, almost any head and decent size cam will hit the mark your after. torque wont be a problem, with the 400 you will prolly go over your torque goal

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds good but do you have to drill the Vortec heads for the 400 block steam holes, just wondering, think you do, no biggy though.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,826 Posts
Hope I am not duplicating another response, but the 400 ci engine is a good candidate for destroking.

I think that Hot Rod magazine had an article about using a 327 crank and 6.3" rods from a 6 cyl ford.

The objective was to get around 400 hp, high reving engine, use regular fuel with no pinging.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll need to machine the.spring seat to accept larger springs, and drill for the steam vents in the head.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've never drilled the steam holes on my 400 based builds--many thousands of miles without issue. My 600+ h.p. 410" runs cooler than my near stock .060" over 350 based engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts