Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking at the pics of a 400 block prep'd by Grumpy Jenkins back in the 70's, he taps the block and runs a separate line for coolant flow to each cylinder. Looks like to me , to even the temp in the block , another line should be run under the intake and tap the block between the area of the pushrods and provide extra coolant there also.

anyone anyone ???

looks like this would even cooling and expansion between both sides of the block.

i had a 400 once in a Vega , it got hot one time and it was toast. So i think about this alot.

·
Registered
751 Posts
can you post the pics? I do know 400's need more cooling. Like from the rear of the intake to the front, and some people even run lines to the drain on each side of the block.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
instead of tapping the block we tap the heads. Some heads have a boss already cast in the heads for easy drilling.

·
Registered
508 Posts
to help keep a 400 cool its best to run a oil cooler. the bottom end gets most of its cooling from oil not water. a cooler is the best way to keep a 400 cool IMO. this is coming from someone that has a half filled 400 block that drives on the street. so speaking from expierience. i dont see how adding lines in the side of the block to flow the same water thats already flowing through there can realy help it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The Canfield 220's (and some others) have a pipe plug already in place between the center two exhaust ports (the hottest part of the engine) to try and aid in cooling that area.

I agree with the engine oil cooler. ESPECIALLY with a filled block!!

Use an adequate cooling system (if not overkill to make you feel better) and it will be fine and run right on the thermostat of your choice. No need to over-think it.:no:

The cooling system of ANY hot rod is kinda like the fuel and ignition systems.....A little extra's never gonna hurt. Just try not to add a bunch of extra failure points.:devil:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
because no water passes between the two center cylinders valves you circulate water around the center cylinders to help cool that area. It's aded insurance is all. Helps prevent air pockets. Sometimes its needed, sometimes not. Same as an oil cooler. My 406 never had anything special like that. It always ran at 180* and upon teardown bearings looked new and no signs of excessive heat.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Speaking of oil coolers,anybody found a decent place on an early nova to put one?I was maybe thinking about where the battery was with a puller fan to pull cool air into it.My Dart blocked 400 has oil temps @240 plus on long freeway jaunts or higher after standing on it hard.

·
Registered
508 Posts
if its driven on the street most of the time one of the finned all. ones that can be bolted under neith your car work well. mine is in front of my radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts